Batten down the hatches!!!!

luv2gro(z3a AB)November 13, 2007

This wind that has come in from the western coast is pretty severe. We're having gusts from 60 to 90 km/hr. Not a hurricane, by any means, but sure strong enough to rattle the windows. If it hasn't hit your area yet, make sure you've picked up everything and put it away. I went outside for a bit and it was instant grit in my teeth. Yuck.

It took my full birdfeeder right off the pole and set it on the ground about 10 feet away - upright, fortunately. DH is shingling our new shed and it's a given that any unsecured tarpaper is ripped off. So far, it hasn't ripped off any of the shingles at the unfinished line. Our yard has been filled with construction debris overnight. The joys of living in a newer subdivision.

Shauna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

Yes, it's terrible out here too! Thankfully it's +10C out there and not -40C.....what a windchill that would be....

But, on the bright side, it's blown all the leaves that I didn't rake up, right out of the yard!lol

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 12:24PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

It's really windy here too but OMG, it's SIXTEEN DEGREES right now!!!!! It is soooooo beautiful outside! I was going to go put the flax straw on my roses today but it'll just end up in the river. I need to go buy more burlap anyway.

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 1:03PM
prairierose

We've had increasing wind since Saturday, but I think it's settling down now, and it switched to the north overnight. North is better - the yard is set up so we've got a fair bit of protection from the north/northwest. I spent more time than I wanted to yesterday trying to wet down my straw mulch. I ended up taking the little wire fences I use to keep the cats out of the flower pots and using them to pin down the straw on the leading edge. At least it's not Pincher Creek - 100 km winds are common there. My sister's new chicken coop (and she's in a coulee) got picked up and moved 6 feet north - chickens and all - last week. I have to e-mail her and see if it's moved all the way to the creek yet.

Connie

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 2:04PM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

It is just nuts here too! My old wheelwagon fell over and cracked. My lawn chairs are all over the acreage. Bird feeders on the ground. My outdoor greenhouse holding tables are tipped over too. What a mess, same with the straw mulch that I covered some plants last Saturday is swept away. I hate this wind, it just makes me so angry!

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 3:07PM
valleyrimgirl(2b)

It is windy here too but our shelterbelt on the north and west sides (the whole Assiniboine River valley) is providing lots of shelter so that it doesn't seem as bad. But...out in the open, wow!!

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 7:14PM
More Discussions
Has anyone tried bale gardens?
Due to my rampant quack grass this summer I took out...
CLBlakey
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Canada's Quest to Breed Super Hardy Roses Article
I came across this interesting article on the rose...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Mahogany Splendor Hibiscus
I was wanting to grow this hibiscus. Everything I've...
marricgardens
Magnolia xloebner "Spring Welcome"
Hi, Does anyone know where to get this Magnolia in...
pricklypoppy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™