Olympic planting

flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)August 14, 2012

Here are a couple of examples of the planting at the Olympic Park in London. I was there at the weekend and really enjoyed the gardens.

Prairie style.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MollyDog(6 PA)

Just beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 6:31PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

That is so pretty, I love wildflower plantings. Not having much space I did a wildflower mix in one of my long planter boxes one year, seeing this has me wanting to do it again.

Annette

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 7:21PM
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

How pretty. I love fields of wildflowers.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 7:48PM
Ellusionz(9)

How hard is it to do something like that for a front yard? And is there a mix what would last year round?

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 8:09PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Ellusionz - these plantings were obviously planned to peak for a month in July/August in the UK so would not necessarily be suitable for your garden I imagine. The gold meadow planting is largely annuals whilst the Southern Hemisphere planting is mostly perennials and bulbs/rhizomes. There were also European gardens which was mostly perennials. For all year interest you would need to select species suitable for your region and include both annuals and perennials. It would also be pretty high maintenance on the deadheading, weeding and selection/removal of self-sowers. Notice that there is absolutely no mulch in these gardens and no soil visible between plants. They rely on dense planting and overall effect, not blobby individual specimens. It looks informal and natural but is not easy to achieve. The designer's site is at the link and there are details of the different gardens if you click through the list on the right. There is information on how they planted them up. For example, the annuals were direct sown in situ by hand.

I've seen a lot of gardens in my time but these truly were wonderful and incredibly imaginative in concept and content.

Here is a link that might be useful: Designer's site

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 10:08AM
roseberri, z6(6)

Wow flora thanks! I also enjoyed the links to his other projects, rain garden and the Blue garden at the Chelsea Flower Show.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 10:39AM
Ellusionz(9)

Darn, I've seen a few yards of "wildflowers" and thought it'd be a lovely idea to try to duplicate.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
" Daffs eaten "
Hi, For quite awhile. I couldn't get on. Now this...
hollyhocker_123
Boxwood not looking good
It's blowing snow and cold here today and the boxwood...
schoolhouse_gw
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is warmer here today, but seems...
cyn427 (zone 7)
reminder of spring
post your spring pics from last year This post was...
davids10 z7a nv.
Received my seeds today
So psyched !!! Can't wait for spring !!!!
Cenepk10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™