Picea Pungens Hoopsii Grafted?

gtiboyDecember 31, 2013

Why is Picea Pungens Hoopsii grafted? I see these plants are not widely available to buy, and when you do see one it's grafted?

Are seeds not available for this plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glaciers_end(8WA)

Hello gti,

I'll give you the quick answer here. Picea pungens 'Hoopsi' is a selected variant of Colorado Blue Spruce that has specific qualities that some feel make it superior to the normal species plant. These qualities can only be recreated through vegetative propagation (grafting, rooting cuttings, or tissue culture). Grafting is overwhelmingly the easiest process here.

If one were to plant seeds, there would be enough genetic variability to the resulting seedlings that they could never properly be called 'Hoopsi.'

Thanks for asking. I hope this helps answer your question.
~Dave

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 7:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

Picea pungens... can be grown from seed ... commonly known as a 'blue' spruce' ... it will give a certain percentage of blue seedlings ... none of which will be the selected version known as hoopsi ...

if you want hoopsi.. you have to get a piece of the original hoopsi ... with roots attached ... and that is done thru grafting ... i am not aware that Picea pungens can be rooted .... [though i wouldnt be surprised of some dwarf or mini can be.. but we arent asked about those]

all hoopsi are EXACTLY the original hoopsi ...

just like your mom and dad can not create an exact duplicate of themselves thru pollination and the vagaries of DNA ... neither can you replicate hoopsi thru seed ... MAYBE you will get something that looks the same .. .. might even come up with something better... if you grow out a couple million seeds for a decade or two ... but whatever you get.. it will not be.. and you can call it.. hoopsi ... you would then name it: Picea pungens 'GTI boy's Folly' .... or some such ...

ken

Bookmark   December 31, 2013 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
Fast growing conifers?
A lovely wooded lot next to us recently sold. The new...
deborahjarman
hardening off new plants from the PNW
do we.. in the cold north.. just slap them in the ground.....
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
Evergreen Experts, Please Help Me Identify This Tree!
I have fallen in love with a tree I saw last year,...
commanderducky
Leyland Cypress in containers? What can I do with them?
(Zone 7a - Northern Virginia. Winter temperatures usually...
mayurkirti
Coastal Redwoods in cold climates
Hi everyone, I am in desperate need of advice as my...
yesseniatr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™