Banana problems

slopfrogMarch 24, 2013

I have a banana tree that was growing fine in pots for about a year and a half. I kept up repotting it, but once it got about 5 feet tall and in a 30 gallon pot I decided to plant it in the yard. Not long thereafter, it started to decline. The leaves weren't very green, it didn't sprout new leaves very fast, and the trunk has become somewhat soft, dark colored, and wet. I suspect some kind of fungal infestation.

Any cures or advice to prevent this from happening again? The neighbor has a 20' tall stand that is constantly producing bananas and I am jealous!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Foreverlad(9b - Tampa Bay)

Slop, it sounds like your yard planting coincided with Winter. Though Banana plants love water, they can't abide much of it during their near-dormancy. Ground tends to hold water better than a pot and can easily induce rot with cooler temps.

I would leave the plant alone for a few weeks as temps continue to climb and the soil progressively warms.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 1:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

It might be transplant shock - & even if the top dies back, the roots may still be good & put out new shoots...

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 10:42AM
More Discussions
bought a green shell ginger--will I be sorry?
I rescued a green Alpinia zerumbet (not the variegated...
marcia_m
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
Miami/CoralGables ... 10b meet
Good morning everyone, I just saw Silvia//Oakland/9b...
alexcortez
Thinking of planting azaleas
So I went for it and ripped out the ugly bushes in...
Debo214
Can you make this page open first after logging in?
On this new site I find getting to this page requires...
stewbrew FL_10b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™