Peonies in Zone 10

ladymarmaladeMarch 12, 2009

Has anyone had any luck growing peonies in South FL? I saw some peony bulbs in Walmart this week and was tempted to buy them butdon't they require a certain amount of chill time? The package did not provide much info.

Thanks, guys.

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosarama

lADY:

tHEY SELL THEM TO UNSUSPECTING NOSTALGICS LIKE YOU AND ME, BUT THEY WILL NEVER GROW OR BLOOM HERE. I AM IN ZONE 9B WHICH IS EVEN COOLER THAN YOURS AND I BOUGTH THEM BEFORE I KNEW BETTER. PEONIES NEED TO GO THROUGH VERY COLD WINTER TEMPS IN ORDER FOR THEM TO BLOOM AND THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN THIS FAR SOUTH. SHAME ON WALMART!

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 2:29PM
solstice98(9b/Orlando)

Jen,
They don't last for more than a season or two in z9 so I don't think you'll have any luck in z10. Sorry. I miss them too.

Kate

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 4:14PM
avalon2007

I just read a post from a gardener in Alabama who said that peonies don't do well there because of the heat. ALA is zone 7-8. I love peonies as well, but in z10 I think that we can just forget about them.
sorry,
Avalon
PS - some large flowering triple hibiscus sorta look like peonies, and we can grow those here, plus they flower year round.

Bookmark   March 13, 2009 at 9:05AM
solstice98(9b/Orlando)

One of the big ruffly camellias may work too.

Bookmark   March 13, 2009 at 5:59PM
ladymarmalade

Thanks, guys. I love all the tropical plants that thrive in SoFl, but I am a greedy gardener. I want to grow all the things I loved to grow up North too! I guess I should just be happy with my hibiscus and bouganvilla. Thanks for all the responses!

Bookmark   March 13, 2009 at 9:02PM
marlasmom(9)

Wayside sells one they claim will work in zone 9 but I called the horticulturist and he said don't even try. I did read somewhere about some trick about packing them in ice or something like that, ANybody know?

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 9:24AM
bigpaulie1972(9B Melbourne FL)

They just can't take the heat. They will wilt and falter if they even get a touch of our direct sun.

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 9:35AM
beachlily z9a

I had trouble growing peonies in the Atlanta area when I lived up there--summers were too warm and wet. Not enough winter up there either!

Please, make the adjustment to the area in which you live!

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 10:46AM
marlasmom(9)

Just looking at the Wayside catalog. They have one peoney they say can go in zone 9 and a couple of tree peonies.

Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 6:02PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
If you really, really want to grow them you can "reverse cycle" Get ones that have been pre chilled ,plant out in Oct. grow until May or when they decline. Dig them up clean them VERY well put them in cloth bags in the refrigerator until Oct, and start over . If we have a particularly cool winter you will get some flowers if not you'll get some spindly growth. This works with most of the temperate bulbs but sure is a lot of work .lol gary

Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 4:56AM
honeyandnutt_frontier_com

Couldn't a person make a "sack" out of chicken wire...put the bulbs and peonies into it...plant with all the needed drainage, mulch, ect. in pots...then when it's time to remove them...just pull of the chicken wire with the bulbs in it...put in paper bag and refrigerate or freeze?

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
wisconsitom
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™