Pomegranate for Central Florida

phoebe100(9)March 31, 2008

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for info on growing pomegranates near Orlando. Never grew one before so I have all kinds of questions. What cultivars are your favorites? Do I need more than one tree for pollination? Any tips on growing them? Do you get loads of fruit from one tree or should you have a few? Thanks in advance for any advice!

phoebe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
naomilovesflipflops(9b FL)

Hi Phoebe,

I just planted two in the first week of the month. I ordered a 'wonderful' which is supposed to be a great variety for FLA's heat and humidity- but they sent me a 'sweet'. They quickly sent me the right one after I called them and told me to keep the first. So I ended up planting 2. I can't give you lots of advice from experience but I have done a bit of reading. They are self pollinators. I think you get a good amount of fruit from a single happy mature tree- but I imagine that takes a few years unless you drop some serious cash for a big tree. I have read that almost 100% fruit drop is common in the first few years. Mine are tiny little things- only about 36" a piece- and scrawny! I googled "pomegranate tree images" and it was very enlightening to see a score of pictures of what they look like mature. I can't wait to see them bloom- they are supposed to be spectacular. HTH, feel free to ask anything else that I might have READ. LOL :-)

Naomi

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 1:20PM
everstar(10 WPB)

Where did you get your trees from, Naomi?

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 2:15PM
an_ill-mannered_ache

willis orchards has a nice selection.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 2:39PM
phoebe100(9)

Thanks for all the info! I love pomengranates they are so pricey in the stores it would be wonderful to grow some. I like that willis orchard site, nice variety of stuff.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 3:19PM
naomilovesflipflops(9b FL)

I got mine from Peaceful Valley.

www.groworganic.com

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 6:32PM
bcrown

I recently bought a pom at a ladies garden sale and have no idea what to do with it. HELP!!!

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 6:56AM
More Discussions
Mimosa ~ silk tree
I posted a photo on my blog not knowing what this little...
flowerladylorraine
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
Why Doesn't My Sapodilla Ripen?
For the past 3 years my sapodilla tree has had an ever...
billbrandi
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
getting back to the garden...
Got back from Jamaica last night, had a great time!...
whgille
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™