sambucus racemosa sutherland gold

ron1_2007November 15, 2007

I planted this last fall, can I prune this to the ground this fall? What are the pros and cons? I understand that if I do not prune in such a manner the plant will become woodier and knobbier and reach its maximum height/spread quicker. I think I would like to have in an intermediate size. Thanks,Ron

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Mine was planted three years ago. It never occurred to me to prune it, so the only pruning has been done by deer. It's about 7 or 8 feet tall now with maybe a 5 foot spread. I love it and would like to plant another one in full sun - this one is in partial shade so the leaves are greener.

If you look in the Gallery under "Asignment #2", there's a picture that shows some of its branches right now. It's woody but i don't think it's very knobby.

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 11:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

I have this plant as well. Mine is in a bad spot, viewing wise, sort of beside the gazebo but hidden by an apple tree. In other words, it doesn't get much sun so isn't golden, but I definitely adore this shrub and it's quick growing and hardy.

Mine started off as a small 4 inch pot, so it's taken a few years to get a hold. This year, however, it's grown from a one foot 'whip' to having several 4 foot long weeping branches. I rather like it. Though they tolerate trimming I don't know if chopping to the ground annually is necessary. I would definitely trim annually as you see fit, it keeps the plant more compact and encourages branching. Maybe annual trimming but only trim to the ground after a few years when it gets woody and unsightly?

This is a large shrub and it wants to grow a decent size, but I imagine they are quite tolerant of trimming, most quick growing shrubs usually are.

Just my two cents.

Glen

Bookmark   November 17, 2007 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
Seeds
Can't wait for spring....
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Emails from Houzz?
Has anyone else gotten one? Is it for real?
Mature spruce with double leader
Hi everyone, I have a question that I can't find the...
Violetjune Zone 3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™