meyers lemon/peach tree

KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)March 17, 2013

At Lue gardens yesterday we made a couple impulse buys of a meyers lemon and a couple peach trees. The trouble is that we have no idea of what the growing requirements for these trees and need some advice! Can anyone give us some direction?

Kara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

I grow both and they are easy to grow...no special needs on the Myers but the peach will need yearly pruning and they grow FAST. I placed the peach trees in our native sugar sand then mulched a circle 10 foot across and 10" deep. They are happy as clams.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 2:08PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Congratulations on your new trees! How fun! Regarding the lemons, you may wish to educate yourself on Citrus Greening Disease (HLB) which is rapidly destroying trees throughout Florida, Texas and has now been discovered in California. The link below is excellent.

All nursery citrus trees must be treated with a systemic drench prior to being sold. The ISD tag shows the treatment date and the retreat date (six months after initial date). Current advice is for the homeowner to retreat before the expiration date on the ISD tag. The primary reason is to prevent the Asian citrus psyllid from spreading Citrus Greening (HLB).

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: FL Dept of Agriculture - Citrus Greening Disease (HLB)

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:17PM

Here is another good link from the University of Florida, IFAS Extension: Dooryard Citrus Production: Citrus Greening Disease.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dooryard Citrus Production: Citrus Greening Disease

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:19PM
katkin_gw

I am having problems with my pc, I can't get your links to come up. What do you treat with exactly? Thanks

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:29PM

Hi Katkin,

The first link I posted is for a website but the second is for a PDF document. Do you have Adobe Reader installed on your computer? It is free and used to open PDF documents. You may need to install it.

I treat my citrus with a systemic called "Bayer Fruit, Citrus & Vegetable Insect Control". The active ingredient is Imidacloprid.

Carol

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 7:25PM
katkin_gw

Thanks Carol, I do use the Bayer's on my citrus. I just didn't know if it helped with the greening. I'll do it again today I am sure it's time, so thanks for reminding me.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 6:28AM
jpin9a(9)

Imidacloprid - I believe that's the same active ingredient in flea medicine for cats/dogs.

Good luck with your trees!

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:45PM
KaraLynn(z9 FL, Inverness, Citrus)

Thank you for all the information. I'll probably be back with some more questions soon!

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:03PM
catsdogs

Hi, just read some info on a Myers Lemon Tree I purchased in Alabama, at a Home Depot. It has an ISD tag on it. Is this a problem for my intent to take to NC? Obviously, there isn't a citrus industry there. My intent is to raise as a patio lemon tree and take it in during winter. I am a little concerned about the treatment and eating lemons from it. Additionally, I would prefer not to retreat it if that if reasonable. Thx in advance for any help.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 5:41PM

Cats,

How fun! I hope you have great luck with your new little tree. Please see the link below for a very thorough and detailed explanation.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: what is isd treatment for citrus plants

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 5:53PM
catsdogs

Thank you so much!

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 8:26PM
jane__ny(9-10)

Imidacloprid is being blamed for the decline of honey bees. It has been banned in Europe.

I used it in the past on my orchids and other regular plants but have decided to stop. The other problem I see is whether you would want to eat fruit with insecticide imbedded in the fruit. I've used some sprays but would not use a systemic insecticide on anything we would eat.

JMO,
Jane

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 1:15AM
More Discussions
Planting Spices
Hey folks, I was doing a bit of google searching, which...
silver4490
Jungle Growth at Lowes?
Is Lowes no longer carrying Jungle Growth Potting soil?...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™