Don555 - Your California Poppy

nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)November 3, 2010

There's a picture of your California Poppies on the other post. Did you start those from seed?

When we lived on the coast, it grew like crazy in the ditches, so I tried to grow it in Sask. No luck. It was really scraggly and didn't bloom well.

Did you do anything special with it?

I'd love to try it again as yours looks darn good for November =:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don555(3a)

Thanks! I have a strip-garden of them running down the east side of our driveway (full sun) that I've had for the past half-dozen years or so. I only planted seeds the first year, ever since then they have self-seeded and come back carpet-thick in the spring, usually starting in mid-April or thereabouts. They usually start blooming in mid-June, quickly turn into a solid orange carpet by mid-July and continue on impressivley into the fall until a -10 frost takes them out. I think we've only hit -6 or so this fall, and they can recover from that.

Anyway, the garden of them on the east side of the driveway didn't look nearly as good this year as in previous few summers -- I think the rain this summer wasn't good for them, so after a month or two of bloom they began to look straggly. So I ripped them out in late August and planted a row of daylilies instead. I think I'll let some poppies stay until I see how well the daylilies do.

The ones in the picture I posted are actually volunteers that must have got swept across the driveway and seeded themselves all along the west side of the driveway in a little crack where a cement wall meets my concrete driveway. I don't really understand how they grow there, but they have self-seeded there and done very well for the past 3 years or so.

My experience is that they don't compete well with other plants so you need to do some weeding to keep the competition at bay. And they only do well in full sun. So I've had great luck with them in our front yard (which faces due south), but much less so in the backyard, where volunteers sometime spring up around the compost bin or other flower gardens.

Hope that helps.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 9:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Yes, it helps a lot.

I'll try them again =:)

Thanks!

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
Has many one tried calgaryplants.com for roses?
I came across this site, http://www.calgaryplants.com/collections/roses,...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Magnolia xloebner "Spring Welcome"
Hi, Does anyone know where to get this Magnolia in...
pricklypoppy
Cedars or Junipers for St Paul, AB
Hello everyone, I am writing to see what everyone thinks...
Eclipse Landscaping
Raspberries for zone 4
Hi Far N gardeners, I'm not exactly "far"...
eatsivy
Blackberry 2014 update...
The other thread was getting too long. Please post...
Konrad___far_north
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™