Transplanting

ljpother(3a)November 12, 2009

I think I'm done transplanting. The ground isn't frozen (who counts the first two inches:), so I moved a peony that wasn't doing well. I didn't did deep enough so I left roots and the plant split. Now I have three. I need something to plant with them to add interest while they mature.

Also, I moved a red currant that is almost 3 feet around. It came up easily -- the poor thing was in a plastic pot. Roots were growing over the top.

Earlier, I moved some rose sports, Harrison's Yellow. I planted them along the back fence. Hopefully, in a couple of years I'll have spring colour and natural barbed wire. The fence backs onto a city park; so, I'm planting in a 6" wide trench. The city stopped spraying for weeds and I'm taking advantage of the change and trying to establish some flowers and raspberries.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

I'm really surprised that you're still planting in z.3. Have you been successful in the past when planting so late?

Bookmark   November 13, 2009 at 8:16AM
ljpother(3a)

We've had a warm November. Exposed ground is softly frozen about two inchs deep. The peonies I moved were more sheltered and still green. The new location is more exposed and will soon fix that. Usually, the ground would be frozen and/or snow covered by now. I haven't transplanted this late before (although I have raked leaves in shirt sleeves between Christmas and New Years). Both, plants needed moving: the peony shaded by a cherry tree; and, the currant in a flower bed snuggled up to a saskatoon.

Bookmark   November 13, 2009 at 11:15AM
ontnative(5b Can/USDA 4)

Good luck with overwintering "lipother". I mean that sincerely. You are braver than I am. I planted some potted perennials around Nov.1, so am keeping my fingers crossed that they will be OK. I guess it helps to mulch and hope for early snowcover. I do rake all my leaves onto my perennial beds and gardens, so that keeps the ground warm a bit longer so the plants can root. We don't get deep frost until the end of December here.

Bookmark   November 15, 2009 at 10:41AM
ljpother(3a)

You really have to look out the window to see what's happening. We went from record highs to a hard freeze in early October (too hot to transplant, to too cold). Since then temperatures have been above normal. The other factors in the decision to do it now were the plants were replaceable and needed to be moved.

Mulching is probably a good idea.

Thanks

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
Seeds
Can't wait for spring....
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
climbing roses
Hi, I'm considering pillaring some climbing roses....
rosecanadian
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Finally!
Even my daffodils, south side close to house, are popping...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™