Alma fig

sffog(10/SanFran)September 1, 2013

in 2011 got a fig called Alma Texas A&M, it grows well and had some fruit last year but they did not ripen. this year I have 12 fruits and today I tried a nice ,good sized dark soft one, YUK it was awful dry and pithy but it sure looked pretty,( i would take a picture but I don't know how to post it) does anyone know anything about this fig if the other fruit ripen and are still dry and pithy, I am getting rid of it.or should I give it another year. I have it in a large nursery pot.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ottawan_z5a

Different growing conditions of soil and weather makes difference. I have Alma in 7 gallon pot. The breba fruit on Alma ripened in August and they were good. The main crop is expected to ripen here in zone 5a by the end of September or early October.
Don't discard and give it more chance with more care (watering /fertilizing/pruning/pinching etc..

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 10:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sffog(10/SanFran)

Thanks ottawan, i'll give it another chance, it gets pampered, i wonder why it's pithy and dry. maybe it needs more fertilizer, i know it gets water, pruned and pinched. I think maybe it needs root pruning when it goes dormant, it's pretty tight in the pot.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 1:09PM
More Discussions
Black Jack fig not growing side limbs
I purchased 2 two gallon Black Jack Figs from Walmart,...
jeremie428
Best fig tree for Piedmont-SC?
Hi, I have a sunny front yard with some space. I would...
okyard1980
New ficus lyrata & ficus elastica...cold shock?
I brought home 3 new houseplants from the hardware...
mandalynrael
I think I poisoned all my new baby figs :/
I had decided to lightly fertilize all my new batch...
Aaron
I am new here, Mathew from New York
Hi All, I just got interested in Figs and am just starting...
mat9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™