Recommended Winter Reading?

nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)November 14, 2010

Now that our growing season is officially over, are there any gardening books or websites with lots of pretty pictures that anyone would recommend to keep the winter weather from burying a person's gardening spirits?

Roses? Growing from Seed? Perennials for Zone 3? Organic pest control? Pest identification for Saskatchewan? Miscellaneous?

Someone last year posted some of their favourite websites, but I think it was for ordering seeds (?)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marricgardens

The first few years I gardened, I bought books. Now I do a lot of research on the web. For growing vegetables, I would recommend any of the books by Eliot Coleman. Other good books I like are Organic Gardening by Geoff Hamilton and The Vegetable Gardeners Bible by Ed Smith. For perennials, one of the first books I bought I really liked and still use it, Caring for perennials by Janet Macunovch. I also like Dryland Gardening by Jennifer Bennett. I don't really grow to many roses anymore but did you know that there is a rose magazine online? You can find it at rosemagazine.com. For pest Identification, I go to the Koppert website. I don't have their information on hand but you can google it. Just some ideas. Hope this helps. Marg

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 8:34AM
marricgardens

I forgot to mention one. When I grew roses I used the canadianrosesociety.org. I found that one pretty useful. I don't grow them now because they suffer to much damage over the winter from winter kill and then the rabbits eat whats left in the spring. They never really bounce back. Even caging never did much good.

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 8:51AM
jungseed(z4b & z2b)

Don't forget, spring catalogs will be in the mailbox in about 2 weeks. Then we'll have pretty pictures to look at.

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 9:30AM
luckygal(3b)

I frequently borrow gardening books and magazines from our local library. I also have about a kazillion websites bookmarked for pretty pics and I especially like some from the UK, even tho their climate is milder than mine, because I like cottage style gardens.

One site with North American gardens is www.houzz.com - one can view landscaping from various areas of NA, also porches, etc.

There are a lot of good gardening blogs also - one of my favs is a GW poster - her site is http://definingyourhome.blogspot.com/ - again a warmer zone but still lots of nice eye candy and info.

Pretty pics from the Netherlands here: http://www.korfhoeve.nl/ - just click on fotogalerie - no need to speak the language, the pics say it all!

Magazines such as http://www.homesandgardens.com/gardens/ from the UK have lots of garden ideas. Many other magazines also have garden pics online. I'm in a bit of a hurry right now so am just grabbing links as I find them in my bookmarks.

http://yardshare.com/ has quite a few 'real' gardens, some are inspirational.

And sometimes I even like looking at all the plants at http://www.richters.com/ for inspiration.

My apologies for not posting clickable links, I must learn how to do that! :-)

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 1:01PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Back when we used to have a Chapters I used to buy anything gardening that was in the bargain bin. Some were written in England and not very applicable but every one of them had good ideas or something I didn't know.

I love my Reader's Digest Encyclopedia of Plants & Flowers. There's not much dialogue but tons of pictures. I also like My World of Old Roses by Trevor Griffiths. I have lots of websites bookmarked, mostly reference.

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 2:48PM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

I've made a Chapters wish list and bookmarked websites.

That should keep me busy for a while.

Thanks!!

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Carmine Jewel Dwarf Cherry Tree
Hi I was just wondering if anyone has grown one of...
troman1973
You can do without.....???
Okay I am about to hit the button on the checkout at...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Native plum wood collection along with many others.
If anybody in my area calgary or alberta is looking...
mattpf
Greenhouse in a Box
Hello Everyone :) For those of you who have received...
nutsaboutflowers
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Sponsored Products
A19 Lighting | Gran Andros Downlight Wall Sconce
$105.99 | YLighting
In Full Bloom Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
LED Lighted Flex Magnifier
$29.50 | FRONTGATE
Dutailier Modern Glider - Espresso & Velvet Beige - 64A200-69-3093
$329.98 | Hayneedle
Indulgence Memory Foam Bath Rug
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Lithonia Lighting Recessed Lighting Industrial 6-Light High Bay Grey Hanging
$86.97 | Home Depot
PetiteTreats Scalloped Pink Cupcake Stand
Classic Hostess
Sonneman Perch Modern Contempo Reading Lamp