NAF - Euonymus alatus?

northspruce(z3a MB CDA)November 7, 2010

Hey NAF - did you end up buying that Euonymus you were talking about in the spring? If so, how's the colour looking now? Mine are incredibly red this year - I should take a picture but I'm always losing the light by the time I get home.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

I'm not NAF - well, i am nuts about flowers, but you know what i mean! LOL - but my two euonymous are not turning really red this year. They've been overshadowed by a dogwood that has grown a lot larger than i thought it would, and i'm going to have to try to get them out of their spot next spring and plant them somewhere that they can get more sun.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 7:52AM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

Funny you should ask......

Yes, I did buy one. The spot I planned on planting it in, after further investigation, wouldn't have been big enough, and I didn't want to dig a bit further over as there's cable lines close by that supposedly are only down about 15 inches deep. I couldn't find another sunny spot for it, so I gave it away to an acquaintance. I went to have a look at it a few weeks ago, and yes, it was a beautiful red.

When I was at the greenhouse a while back, the sales guy convinced me to buy a Dwarf Turkestan Burning Bush, that supposedly will stay smaller. I'm not sure if I'm crazy about the shape of the leaves, but I'm willing to try it out. Maybe I'll like it better as it gets established, particularly if it gets red as the sales guy promised. If not, I have lots of shovels.

Do yours still have red leaves on yours now? A picture really would be nice =:)

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 9:45AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

I didn't get a picture and the leaves fell off now. :0( They were a bright, clear red sort of patched/veined over white. Interesting. Every year I think I should take a picture but then the same thing happens with it being dark at 5.

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Bacopa Propagation from Cuttings
I have been searching the net trying to find out how...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
germinating rose seeds
What is a good way to start roses from seed, I picked...
wayne
Snows not here but lets talk roses anyways 2014
Well, this was an explosive year in the rose dept for...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
What variety of Rose might survive in Mid Coast Maine?
I recently moved to Mid Coast Maine (I'm @ 1/2 hour...
mao53
Rudbeckia fulgida 'Goldsturm' hardy on the prairies?
I don't recall if I've ever seen this plant alive and...
twrosz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™