Siberian irises didn't bloom this year?

weeper_11(2b SK)December 30, 2012

I was thinking about things that did and didn't "work" in my garden in 2012. For some reason, NONE of my siberian irises bloomed this year. The foliage looked exactly the same(healthy) as it always does..the plants didn't increase much at all, they basically just stayed the exact same. One iris did send up bloom stalks, but the buds all shrivelled and turned brown before they opened.

Anyone have any idea what might have happened? It was quite a dry spring and summer, so I was wondering if maybe they didn't get enough moisture? I almost never water my perennial bed. Or maybe they got a late frost or something? I also didn't fertilize. What can I do different this year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden

Mine don't do well in the heat, Katie. And they certainly do like moisture. My TB's were late blooming and didn't last long. Weird spring and the heat was turned on too high, too fast, I think. ??

Ginny

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 8:10PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Mine weren't good either. Only one TB bloomed, for about a day and then shrivelled up. I think you're right, Ginny - too hot too fast.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 11:22PM
don555(3a)

A bit of fertilizer. Water when nature isn't offering adequate rainfall. Lots of sunshine. That should lead to good blooming.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 3:41AM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

My mom's sibs didn't bloom either. I think it's pretty normal for them to skip a year sometimes. They're picky.

My TBs did well this past summer. At least one bloomed that never had before. It didn't get really hot or dry until later in the summer though.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 11:46AM
north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)

I agree with northspruce...they seem to be picky. I've gone years without blooms, then 2 years in a row with good bloom. I don't know why. I just make sure to enjoy them while they last.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 2:32PM
weeper_11(2b SK)

Thanks for the reassurance, I had no idea what I did wrong! Hopefully they'll return with lots of blooms this spring!

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
Posting a picture from photobucket.
Over in the hosta forum I've learned how to post a...
north53 Z1b MB
So How Many?
Yeah, its winter and I am bored being stuck inside...
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
Far North on Facebook
Do any of you remember Sharon, "Crazy_Gardener",...
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
climbing roses
Hi, I'm considering pillaring some climbing roses....
rosecanadian
Grapes that survived (zone 2b)
all my grapes pulled through, except for a straggly...
intotheark
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™