Where to get avocado tree?

timetraveler(9b Melbourne Beach FL)March 19, 2008

Can someone please direct me to a nursery or garden center where I might find a healthy avocado tree that would like to grow and produce in zone 9b? I live in Melbourne Beach. I wish I could go to the Brevard Rare Fruit Council's Fruit Tree Sale, but I'm going to be out of town that weekend.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fawnridge(10A)

Home Depot, Lowes, any retail garden center. Most carry several different varieties of Avocado. If you want to make a drive, come down to Palm Beach County and go to Excalibur Fruit Trees on Fearnely Road.

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 1:52PM
subcoolfl(10a)

Hi TimeTraveller,
I'd suggest bypassing Lameos and Home sh*tHole and go to the privately owned nursery right by lowes in Melbourne. It's about a block south on Minton. They have excellent selection and are ten bucks cheaper than lowes. They also know their stuff....get a mango while your at it(get a glenn)!! Best 50 you'll ever spend Good Luck!!

Mark

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 3:51PM
timetraveler(9b Melbourne Beach FL)

Thanks for the advice. I found a beautiful Day Avocado at the South Brevard Nursery.

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 5:37PM
ellen17(z9)

I am looking for a Little Julie mango tree. Does anyone in central Florida know where I can find one. They are supposed to be a mini and can be kept in a big pot. That way I can drag it into the greenhouse when there is a freeze.

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 7:52PM
gcmastiffs(z10 Florida)

Ellen, please consider starting a new thread whenever you have a question unrelated to a current discussion, so it gets seen and answered promptly. Just title it as to the subject. We don't want you to feel ignored because we missed your question!

Jene's Tropical Fruit Nursery and Pine Island Nursery have dwarf Julie Mango trees. They are susceptible to fungal diseases, and need regular spraying. The fruits are rather small, and stay green. Once you skin it and cut out the pit, there is not much edible flesh left. I like mine, but there are lots of other "Condo Mango" varieties that have larger/better fruits and more disease resistance. Check out the Pine Island Mango variety viewer for more info.

Lisa

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 8:30PM
new2gardenfl(Z9 CentralFL)

Lukas Nursery in Oviedo has several varieties of avacado trees available. I was just there a couple of days ago and they had a bunch. I was looking for apples, but they were sold out.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 11:54AM
ellen17(z9)

thank you Lisa. It was just a spur of the moment thing. In future, I will start a new thread. Also, I am glad that you me about the Julie. It does not as attractive as I imagined.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
Podocarpus Leaves Turning Brown
I planted a doz 3' tall podocarpuses on 3' centers...
roserx
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
Growing milkweed (A. tuberosa) from seed in Central Fl.
Hi! I'm new here, and I'd like to see if anyone has...
martianpictures
Staghorn cutting
A friend gave me a piece of her staghorn. How do I...
drich30099
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™