Solve me this question

foolishpleasureOctober 5, 2012

I buy most of my fig trees from ediblelandscaping nursery. They are good professionals. They say in their planting instructions space the trees 8' to 10'. For me that is impossible because my back yard is nothing but sand and clay. To make any plants grow in my back yard I make raised beds although very expensive but to give my plants good soil mixture i incur the cost and I have been rewarded. Coming to my question I space my fig trees about 3 feet apart but I don't want bushes I want trees. The trees are very healthy and some are 8 feet high and this is the maximum height I allow them to grow to, I have good production but I am thinking am I missing more production by spacing them close. I have 24 trees if I follow their method of spacing I would not have space for may be 4 trees. What every body else does?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barnhardt9999(8a)

You should be ok with sand and clay. I've never had any trouble growing figs in heavy red clay. Just add a few inches of compost in the spring and a few inches of mulch in the fall and your soil will be great in no time.

3 feet seems way too close. I've seen celeste's in my area with trunks at least a foot across, branches 20+ feet in all directions and thousands of figs. I would opt for 4 larger trees rather than 24 smaller trees. Larger trees are going to be more cold hardy.

I currently only have 2 fig trees. The first is a chicago hardy which I have about a 15' x 20' area for and plan to let it grow wild - except for keeping to one trunck. The second is a celeste about 6 ft from the south side of my house. I am shaping it like a Menorah and have about 15' in both directions set aside (plan to let it be 30' across by about 4' in depth). Except for the basic Menorah shape I plan to prune all branches each year.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 11:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lukeott(7 south jersey)

Sounds like you really need a bigger yard. If you plant them with only 3 foot of spacing, this only leaves the tree 18" of space to grow from the center out before touching another tree. Your only possible chance would be to train them. Look up espalier training. Even with this, you will be limited but it's possible if you have a good imagination.I have not attempted this yet, but plans are in the near future. Good luck and hope you find a way.

luke

Bookmark   October 14, 2012 at 2:45PM
More Discussions
Easy propagation method
I may have posted this before but I've read a number...
leon_edmond
The Great Boulder Fig Planting Experiment
Let me first say I'm not a fan of rooting figs inside....
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
site and variety selection
hi, all, I'm new to California and am excited to try...
emmers_m
Creeping Fig permanent setback
I planted a creeping fig vine a dozen years ago and...
grubby_AZ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™