can you transplant.....

ianna(Z5b)August 5, 2008

the following:

established blue thistle

established delphiniums

established coneflowers

veronicastrum

In a major redesign quest, I am planning to move these around in September. I need to know if I am transplanting correctl or if it's better to wait till all things go dormant in October

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gldno1

The normal rule is to plant things out in the fall soon enough to give the plants time to establish some roots before a hard freeze, so maybe 6 weeks before your freeze date.

I just did some perennial salvia and it is so hot, they may not make it. I am keeping them well watered. I won't be doing any more transplants until our weather cools down.

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 8:11AM
dyhgarden(7b)

I think your thistle and coneflowers will be fine as I move those two around quite a bit anytime that I want. I don't know enough about the others. Of course, I'm not in your zone, so I may not have the best advice.

Bookmark   August 6, 2008 at 4:56PM
lvtgrdn

I don't know about the delphiniums or vern.. I moved coneflowers the first week of June and they had transplant shock for awhile, but they are blooming and not wilting on these hot days we're having like the Kim's Knee Highs that I planted. I have found smaller plants of blue globe thistle move better than the larger ones. I have had some not make it when moved.

Sue

Bookmark   August 7, 2008 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
reminder of spring
post your spring pics from last year This post was...
davids10 z7a nv.
Just a little test post -
I'm trying to see how the new posting works. First,...
ThinMan Z5 MI
" Daffs eaten "
Hi, For quite awhile. I couldn't get on. Now this...
hollyhocker_123
Forum changed ALOT
OMGosh, this whole forum completely changed! WHen did...
todancewithwolves
An Irish Cottage Garden.
Not my own Irish Cottage Garden this time,..i have...
nulty
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™