Blueberries ??

CLBlakeyDecember 31, 2012

I know winter seems odd to think about blueberries but trying to plan for next year. I had been thinking haskaps but the more I hear I think I might not like the taste. I have yet to try one. My husband wants to plant along our property line for separation. Do you grow blue berries? How do they do? How fast are they growing for you? are they high or low bush? Is there a place I could order in bulk cheaper than 20$ a plant that is how much Canadian Tire had them for here last year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don555(3a)

I have not tried blueberries in this climate, mainly because blueberries like acid soil and I think my soil is quite alkaline and I couldn't be bothered to fuss with the pH enough to treat and maintain an acid soil. Might be great if you are in a natually sandy area though.

Haskaps? Ugh, I could have given you mine, except I pulled them out this year since they taste so sour.

If I were planting a new berry-border, I would either opt for saskatoons (smoky would be my variety of choice), or one (or several) of the new Romance Series of tart cherries from the University of Saskatchewan breeding program.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 3:36AM
CLBlakey

I am worried about that with Haskaps but really dislike Saskatoons too plus I think they grow too big for the area I have. I grew up with blueberries and huckleberrys but I was hopeful when haskaps were described as a blueberry raspberry combo but from what I have read here sour seems to be the biggest comment. I saw a site yesterday that had a "blueberry saskatoon" popped off an email asking about it. I already have a cherry and raspberries. We have clay soil so would have to amend it for blueberries I think it would be worth the effort IF they actually produce here.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 1:24PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

There are blueberries in the new Botanus catalogue - so far only online.

Bookmark   January 6, 2013 at 9:28PM
nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)

I bought the blueberries from Botanus last year. I planted them in a pot for the summer. Unfortunately I ran out of time to get them planted in a sheltered spot in the ground, so they're in our garage in the pots. Highly unlikely they'll survive. They were pretty and healthy little plants though :)

Bookmark   January 7, 2013 at 12:58PM
CLBlakey

Thanks I checked and only one is for zone 3 and that is a low bush looks like I am out of luck :( I am pretty sure a zone 4 won't make it here. Looks like haskaps might be my only option.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 12:22PM
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

I'm with Don, our soils are for for blueberry,..and Haskap is far away from a Blueberry.
One of the best berries and healthiest you can grow is the black currant,..but, I have to cover them with fleece against the fruit flies. Problem free is Haskap if you don't mind sour, ...I love them, very easy to pick, freeze well and virtually no seeds.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
What do you know about blacknot?
The last 3 years or so with more moisture during growing...
Konrad___far_north
Greenhouse in a Box
Hello Everyone :) For those of you who have received...
nutsaboutflowers
Has many one tried calgaryplants.com for roses?
I came across this site, http://www.calgaryplants.com/collections/roses,...
prairie_northrose (3a north of Calgary, AB, Canada)
Magnolia xloebner "Spring Welcome"
Hi, Does anyone know where to get this Magnolia in...
pricklypoppy
Carmine Jewel Dwarf Cherry Tree
Hi I was just wondering if anyone has grown one of...
troman1973
Sponsored Products
Couristan Bar Harbor Stripe Indoor/Rug - Blueberry Crush
$44.00 | Hayneedle
Sleep Sync Blueberry 7-inch Twin-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Fireside Patio Mats Rugs Country Hearth Blueberry
Home Depot
Mason Jar Glass Beverage Dispenser with Chalkboard
Classic Hostess
Blueberries Dish Towel
$7.99 | zulily
Chelsea Home Holly Loveseat in Denver Black/Flat Suede Graphite/San Francisco Bl
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™