Black crepe myrtles

Cenepk10(7B)August 22, 2013

Just bought 4 black crepe myrtles. So pretty ! Anyone have these ? Under planting suggestions ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
girlgroupgirl(8 ATL)

Black Diamond crepes are lower growing varieties, with arching, spreading foliage. Often recommended for more of a hedging type of planting. They will have fairly dense foliage that shades out the underneath. I have a similar crepe planted along by my road. While it's small I opted to let re-seeding vincas grow through the mulch, but mainly it's just mulched. Since it will be low growing and 8' wide, it could be hard to get underneath eventually, and my other crepes seem to only let certain things grow under or near them. By one I have a rose doing very well, and had some ground cover oregano which has more recently died. Another rose, some coreopsis and some becky daisies were not all that happy or is a clematis. These all used to do well (and are not in shade) pre-crepe...thyme however has proven to be a wonderful ground cover underneath all the trees.

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 6:01PM
Cenepk10(7B)

I am so grateful for your post ! I was planning on planting the 4 to make a 21' square. Trying to subdivide - in a somewhat formal way, my football field sized back yard. These trees I purchased for this purpose that they wouldn't be too tall to block the borrowed views that are beyond which are beautiful. Also- I thought the black foliage would be lovely against the green lawn. I wanted to create 4 isosceles triangle beds to create a " room " inside the Football field. I'm loving your rose idea ....shrub roses could be pretty & use up more space ! I like it !!!

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 9:58PM
Cenepk10(7B)

White roses !!! Against the black foliage, hot pink flowers ! Love it !

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 10:21PM
Cenepk10(7B)

Better yet - white phlox - does very well here, crazy long bloom time, mildew resistant apparently We've only had about 999" of rain since April

Bookmark   August 23, 2013 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Good morning all. It is warmer here today, but seems...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Here's what my Garden looks like!!
The icicles are getting crazy big, but they look pretty...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
Jane's work in progress
Jane emailed me a picture of the project she's still...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
My first real gardening venture this year
The sun is out, it's 80 degrees in my unheated greenhouse...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Boxwood not looking good
It's blowing snow and cold here today and the boxwood...
schoolhouse_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™