chellamaralMarch 7, 2012

What to do to keep them away?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fawnridge(10A)

Shotgun with bird shot and good aim.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 4:16PM
echobelly

I think they've got spring fever. They chew off my bottlebrush flowers (don't eat them, just drop them on the ground), and the other day they chewed some leaves off a philodendrum. I moved the bird feeder to the back yard to try to keep them occupied back there.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 5:19PM
chellamaral

something is eating the strawberries but I would think a squirrel would take the entire fruit? Could it be lizards?

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 12:16PM
brute(Florida 9B)

I've got to agree with fawnridge.
The unfortunate fact is that almost nothing short of lethal force can stop squirrels once they've made up their minds to get at something.
It is fairly easy to catch them in a live-trap and relocate them somewhere FAR away.
Your trap will be more effective if you run a length of fishing line or sewing thread from the trap's trigger latch, across the yard to the house. Bait the trap with birdseed, and when you see the squirrel inside the trap and he hasn't sprung it, jerk on the string and trip it yourself. Sometimes squirrels don't have enough weight to trip the trigger.
If you cover the trap with a towel while transporting the squirrel, he'll remain calm and not injure himself bouncing around the cage.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 6:17PM
ritaweeda

You might try putting fake rubber snakes or owls around, but that might not work, you would have to move them around all the time, too, squirrels are smart. My son is having a time with them getting into his attic, I suggested he throw a pest control bomb up there but he doesn't want them to die up there. I would rather smell dead squirrels for awhile than to have one eat through the wiring and burn the house down. I suggested also that he go buy a huge rat snake and throw it up there, but there's no guarantee it would stay there. They are a huge nuisance and I don't have a problem using them for target practice, myself. I did hear that if you mix up plaster of paris and peanut butter, then roll them into balls and put them around, if the squirrels eat them they will die. Don't know if it works. But then the woodpeckers might get them, too. Or someone's pet.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 6:37PM
writersblock

> I would think a squirrel would take the entire fruit?

Nah, that's one of the irritating things about them. Lots of times one bite is enough. Some people say they do that because they need the moisture, so you might try putting out a water pan for them.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 7:01PM
L_in_FL(8B/9A Border, NW FL)

Squirrels do that one-bite thing to tomatoes and tree fruits all the time. They'll take a chunk out of every tomato on your plant just as it starts to color up and nibble every peach on a tree just as they start to ripen...grrr! As to them needing moisture, there's a ditch behind my yard that holds water all year. I have a fountain in the front, and I have tried putting water in pans near the tomatoes. Didn't change anything.

One year I planted 50 strawberry plants. Darn squirrels dug up every single one! I discovered the plants lying on the dirt the next morning; most of them were just beside their hole. They hadn't been eaten or chewed, just dug out. I replanted them, and they did it AGAIN. There weren't even any acorns planted in the holes. So, I have no idea what possessed them to dig up 50 strawberry plants...twice! (I'm used to them planting acorns everywhere...if they had their way my yard would be an impenetrable stand of oak trees.) I lost a lot of the plants from the roots drying out. Even I eventually learn, so I protected the strawberries with a net the third time I planted them.

They're cute, but as a gardener I dislike squirrels intensely. I'll always have plenty of them, too - both my next door neighbors have oak trees. I could trap individual squirrels, but others would quickly replace them.

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 10:46AM
wally_1936(8b)

It is my understanding that they do not like the thorns on rose bushes.

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 12:42PM
plucrazy(9)

I have had problems with squirrels eating up my siding on the house. Some got into the house thru the fan door in the bathroom. Large piece of hardware clothe fixed that hole. The other one chewed thru the vinyl siding on the house and tried to make a nest in there. Up on the second floor. They dug up all my avocado plants, ate the seeds, even the plants I bought and were growing and blooming. I hate them. Like you say, if you get rid of them more just take their place. Oh, I have chicken wire around my hibiscus plant because something was eating the blossoms.
Clara

Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 11:55AM
chellamaral

I am surrounded with very mature live oak trees, so there are an abundance of squirrels. They run along the top on our fence and taunt our labrador. I am afraid to see what happens with our new fruit plantings: barbados cherry, peach, mulberry, raspberry, and blueberry! I don't have the heart to kill them :-/

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
Need help with growing healthy cannas
I have several cannas, both large and dwarf, but do...
gardenbear49
Looking for wax jambu and Barbados cherry cuttings
Looking to purchase some cuttings of the following...
poetie
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
Tomato varieties good from now to early summer?
I am in zone 10A or B—can't quite make out where...
pattybee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™