Sprayed today for Thrips.

newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)June 8, 2012

The only one of my fancy daylilies blooming now is Lava Flow and nothing else looks like it is gonna bloom that soon. Still I decided to spray already for thrips. I don't want any thrip damage on my blooms if I can help it so decided just to try and get ahead of any potential problems. I spray and about two weeks later, I spray again and that takes care of it. At least it has the past two years. Before that I didn't spray. But I don't like having the thrip damaged blooms.

And since I was spraying and it was rose spraying day (every two weeks) I sprayed the roses with the usual systemic fungicide mixed with Neptunes Liquid Fertilizer.

I use Bonide Systemic Insect Control for the Thrips and Bonide Systemic Desease Control for the roses.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

If your winter has been warm, prepare to spray more than usual.
kay

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 9:00PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Yes, it has been a very mild winter. Maybe I will have to spray a third time. We will see.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 9:17PM
nat4b(4)

Do they have those Bonide Systemics at big-box stores? I use some insecticidal soap, doesn't seem to help.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 1:33AM
Maryl zone 7a

Because of our unusually warm spring, my daylilies exploded with spider mites in early spring. I had to spray with AVID, which coincidently enough kills adult Thrips. Haven't had much damage to my daylilies from Thrips since. Fingers cross....Maryl

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 2:42AM
anniegolden(z7a)

Thank you for the information, Rita. As I was reading your post, I was thinking, well, it would be helpful to know what products she uses, and then :) you told us!

Nat4b, check the link below, it is a product locator for Bonide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonide product locator

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 7:42AM
Nancy zone 6

Oddly, I haven't seem much in the way of thrips this year, and normally splotchy daylilies have looked the best they ever have. We certainly have plenty of other insects though after that warm winter.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 8:04AM
najoba(8b)

Rita, our pest control man who sprays for me said I'd only have to spray once for thrips. He was so wrong! Even though we sprayed twice, I still see some creeping in now.

Thanks for the Bonide tip!

Nancy

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 8:41AM

Good thing I did all my spray programs yesterday as today there are a few sprinkles. Nothing really, just enough to wet the folliage and that means one could not spray as these products have to be able to dry on the plant in order to work.

I don't see how an only once spray program would ever work. I always wait the two weeks and spray again. This year it is possible I might have to spray the third time because other years scapes have been further along (higher) and buds more developed when I first sprayed. But we will see.

When you spray, always do the buds as that is where the thrips do their damage. But also do the folliage.

Honestly, I don't know where to get the Bonide products locally as I buy mine on line. Usually at Amazon.com.

Maryl, I am not familiar with AVID so can't comment on it.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 11:11AM
gardenfanatic(MO zone5b)

Do systemics work for thrips?

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 1:51PM

Yes, the Bonide Insect Spray is systemic. Those buggers hide inside even on closed blooms so if you don't use a systemic it is very difficult to get rid of them.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 1:53PM
jean_ar(z8 Ar)

Can't buy it locally here no where.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 4:43PM
More Discussions
photo of cool blue daylily
Does anyone have a picture of Petit's Cool Blue daylily...
pink_petals
Best deer repellant?
I'm fairly new at daylillies, and I know that the deer...
bigack
Question About Seed Sprouting
I was throwing out some old seed packets that were...
alameda/zone 8
in case anyone is interested
here is the link to Daylily Mecca info , in case anyone...
signet_gw
Pet Peeves
As spring has sprung and our thoughts turn to blooms,...
Maryl zone 7a
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Fernandez Mushroom 3' 3" x 5' 3"
Home Depot
Illumine Lamps 59 in. Silver Floor Lamp CLI-LS440215
$90.16 | Home Depot
Bestar i3 Northern Maple 59 x 60 L-Shaped Workstation Desk
$625.99 | LuxeDecor
Broyhill Furniture Maddie Apartment Sofa
$777.95 | LuxeDecor
Polished Chrome Urban Crush 10-Inch Adjustable Cone Mini Pendant with White Crus
$112.10 | Bellacor
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Sisal Home Decorators Collection Rugs Marblehead
$69.00 | Home Depot
Two Diana Sconces
$750.00 | Horchow
Auberge Monogrammed Wash Cloth - WHITE (N)
$11.90 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™