Should I give this fig a chance...or replace it

girlbug2(z9/10, Sunset zone 24)October 12, 2010

The Janice Seedless fig I ordered from Bay Laurel last winter hasn't grown much and produced only two figs for me to sample, both of which were unremarkable. My dilemma this fall is, do I go ahead and rip it out while it's still young and easily removed, or do I give it another season or two to improve?

My decision will be influenced heavily by whether or not anybody can tell me they've ever had a really good Janice Seedless fig. If so, I am inclined to let it mature a few more years..but I hate to waste the valuable spot if it will only produce mediocre figs after all that time and nurture.

What do you say forum?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thisisme(az9b)

girlbug2 thats a very personal question. Any two people eating the same fig may have very different opinions about its taste. In Arizona where I live I have found that figs trees grow more fruit with each passing year. I have not found the fruit to get better though with each passing year. If it were my tree and if I had eaten two ripe un-soured fruit and did not like the taste I think I would pull it.

If you have fig tree whose fruit you like that will not grow. Try giving it a slightly over dose of fertilizer and water it well in early spring. It may not fruit that year but it will grow and produce a tree of a size that will produce much more fruit the next season.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
rootless cuttings are producing buds
March. Zone 9b. Small bare tree in pot. Black Mission. Five...
four
Celeste Figs - Trees or bushes?
Is there only 1 variety of Celeste Fig, or does it...
pcbaulch
Cuttings with mold.
When I took my three bags of cuttings out of the fridge...
recoil_rob
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
site and variety selection
hi, all, I'm new to California and am excited to try...
emmers_m
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™