Plant ID?

tybonium(z7 TX)January 6, 2005

Hello all. I haven't really posted much, but have found reading this forum to be a great help!

I recently went to wal-mart and happened to see three foliage plants in one pot, for about $4. It seems I just can't say no to more plants, so I went ahead and picked one up. One of the plants looks to be a croton (different from the one I already have, but there are just *so* many of those), but the other 2 I'm not sure about. I think I have seen some like them before, but I find it *very* difficult to try and search for foliage plants since the discription of so many sound the same.

I'm curious about the tall plant on the left (narrow leaves, with a reddish tint on the edges)

and the shorter plant, with dark leaves, and white/yellow spots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tybo's Delirium

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bostongardens(z6 MA)

...I'm curious about the tall plant on the left (narrow leaves, with a reddish tint on the edges)....

A dracaena aka as spike plant?

Bookmark   January 6, 2005 at 8:29PM
tybonium(z7 TX)

It didn't even occur to me that it looked like a dracaena! I have a bigger dracaena (can't remember the name of it) and the leaves grown out of the middle like that. Thanks so much for the info.

Bookmark   January 7, 2005 at 12:29AM
tybonium(z7 TX)

Thanks to the suggestion by BostonGardens, I found the ID of the other plant as well.

The taller plant appears to be a Dracaena marginata (although there is no woody stem, but the plant seems young).

The other plant appears to be a Dracaena surculosa.

Thanks so much for your help.

Bookmark   January 7, 2005 at 12:56AM
Josh(z8a)

Tybonium, Glad you found your id so quickly...the folks on GW are so helpful (and knowledgeable). You might also like to bookkmark the site below... I signed up for a weekly email but you can also just browse the site for good photos and growing info. josh
P.S. I've been growing the Dracaena surculosa but thought it was D. godseffiana ...maybe name has been changed...or my memory wrong...I'm off to do some research. I've been growing tropicals for 40 years but still learning. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant of the Week

Bookmark   January 8, 2005 at 12:51PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

I bought 2 of those same baskets! They had a couple different Crotons in there, as well as 2 different Dracaena marginatas. The speckled one is a D. surculosa (some still call D. godseffiana) cv. 'Florida Beauty'. My Codieaum have since croaked, but the other plants are holding their own.

~Rosemarie

Here is a link that might be useful: Dracaena surculosa 'Florida Beauty'

Bookmark   January 16, 2005 at 4:56PM
tybonium(z7 TX)

Rosemarie,

I'm really wishing I would have gotten more than one, but they didn't have anymore when I went back:( Unfortunately, my store only had that one assortment.

They are a wonderful size for my window, and the marginatas add a nice flair. As you can probably see in my picture, there was *a lot* of soil overflowing the basket that I got, so I ended up dumping some of it out and then spraying down the plants. To my surprise, and delight, I found a second marginata that was mostly buried. It's at the base of the croton and I just didn't even see it before.
I hope you enjoy yours!!
-Tylina

Bookmark   January 21, 2005 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Name of Flower
Hello there: Could anyone tell me what is the name...
malt_gardener
Help!! Plant Identification
I have no idea what plant this is. It is doing really...
aredden
Blue Coleus
I've seen a rare few truly blue (not purple) coleus...
tacapollo
Please identify
Is this an annual or a perennial? Any info is appreciated...
Sparky11159
hibiscus flowers
I have a Hibiscus plant. It rains often, and at times,...
isaiah6624
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™