Fig Cuttings not taking?

rigo76802(8)October 12, 2010

I started some fig cuttings back around Sept 24, 4 different fig tree's i took cuttings from. I have lost 2 out of 18 to mold, others are still ok but no sign of roots on side cup yet. Am i being to impatient?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbies_cockatiels_2(__6 Philly PA.)

rigo76802 , When I did this back in June it took about 2
full months untill I could see the roots at the edge of
the cup . So take a deep breath and sit back and wait.
The roots will show up soon... Debbie

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 1:53PM
dieseler

Hi Rigo,
wait till around Thanksgiving.
Martin

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 3:51PM
rigo76802(8)

Thanks for the info.

one good thing is none of the cuttings look like they are drying out. i just have to be patient and wait.

Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 5:05PM
rigo76802(8)

Good news, today when i was checking for mold i found one of cuttings had lots of roots visible through the cup.

i was really excited about this cutting because it is a cuttings from my grandmothers fig tree. She passed away in 2008 and my grandfather gave me cuttings to continue her fig tree.

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 11:01AM
noss(Zone 9a Lafayette, LA)

Hi rigo,

I'm happy for you that your grandma's fig cutting has rooted for you. That's really special.

noss

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 10:23PM
thisisme(az9b)

If one has roots now is the time to get it out of there and into a less mold prone location.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 9:40AM
bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

I would use bottom heat to increase your chances.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 7:04PM

What kind of heat is used for bottom heat and why do we use it?

Thanks,

noss

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 12:53AM

There's a special heating mat for seeding or starting cuttings. It warms up the soil to encourage root growth. It usually keeps the soil 10ð warmer than the ambient temperature. I use it to root cuttings in winter with great success.

Bass

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 4:24AM

Thanks Bass,

Does the mat use circulated water rather than coils like a heating pad? For orphaned, or sick puppies, the incubators use pads that circulate warmed water, which is gentler and can't "cook" the babies like a regular heating pad with coild would. Maybe it wouldn't make any difference with plants, though. I was just wondering.....

Thanks,

noss

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 6:15PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

Hi,
I'd like to know a little more about these too. I have been thinking about getting one.

How do you decide which whattage to get?
I just did a google search and so much came up, it's a little confusing.

Here's a link to one I thought looked ok. but it comes in 3 different watts.
JoJo

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedling heat mat

Bookmark   October 16, 2010 at 9:34PM

I use the hydrofarm seedling mat the same one in the link above. It's specially made for cuttings and plants. It usually keeps the plants 10ð warmer than the surrounding temperature. You can get a separate thermometer but it's not necessary for a few cuttings.
It helps growing roots faster, especially in winter.

Bass

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 4:43AM
danab_z9_la

rigo,

It is best to be patient with your cuttings. They will eventually root for you. If you buy a heating mat, I STRONGLY suggest that you do not put a cover completely on your bin. Best of luck to you.

Noss,

I would highly recommend that you never ever use bottom heat on any "closed container" like the fig rooting bin pictured above or any cuttings placed in baggies. To do so will actually cause more mold to form than it helps out the situation. Propagation mats are designed for outdoor "green house" usage with an "open" air space. You simply DO NOT NEED ONE for rooting fig cuttings at normal indoor room temperatures.

Please give me a call when you are ready to root cuttings and I will give you the details of an almost fool proof method based upon your particular needs and your particular situation. The time to start cuttings in our area is in early January. If you start them too early, you will have to tend to them over the entire winter. If you start them in early January, you will find it much easier .......because, as the new starts are potted, the outside temperatures will be just right for placing them outdoors. This is much better than having to nurse them indoors until the warm weather arrives.

Dan

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 2:23PM
foolishpleasure

How long for a Fig cutting to become a tree and produce. I started some Fig Cuttings last year and they still in one Gallon pots slowly developing.

Bookmark   October 18, 2010 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Any good places to buy fig cuttings?
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you could recommend...
bonechickchris
I'm Back
Hello all
Aaron
LosAngelesFigForest website
Please feel free to suggest improvements for the site. I...
Aaron
vasilika sika ( king & queen)fig greek
Can anyone post a photo of this fig? Is this fig called...
edarena
New Member to the Family.
This is Newton. My first fig tree. Picked him up today....
chopstikkninja
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™