Rattlesnake Master - anyone grow this?

georgia_transplant(7b)February 29, 2008

I am planning my front beds for this year and one of my main goals for the beds is to plant native perennials with year-round interest. I really want interesting foliage!

I came across "rattlesnake master" (Eryngium yuccafolium). Does anyone have experience growing these intersting plants? If so, what do they look like in winter? Do they maintain their bluish-green appearance and keep the little spikes on the end? I put a link to a photo of the plant below.

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rattlesnake master

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mfyss

Lots of it growing here, but I have had trouble with getting the seeds to germinate. Two other Eryginum, with similar flower heads are easier for me to germinate. Yale

Bookmark   March 1, 2008 at 3:03PM
linnea56(z5 IL)

I had them for a number of years: eventually gave them away. They donÂt look very bluish: more of a silvery green. They really were not very interesting: more weedy. If I remember correctly the stalks would flop over early in winter, so there was no winter interest to speak of. The leaf edges are serrated and quite sharp. I cut myself enough times on them that that was a motive in getting rid of them too.

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 12:59AM
georgia_transplant(7b)

Thanks so much mfyss and linea56. Really good info. I think I'll plant something else in that spot.

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 9:30PM
More Discussions
Coprosma Verde Vista
I had never seen this plant before, but looking for...
Sugi_C
Tradescantia zebrina
The three detached leaves, center below, are T. zebrina....
mfyss
Rose of Sharon Dormancy?
We had a cold winter here. I have two Rose of Sharon...
loneranger_grow
Help!! Plant Identification
I have no idea what plant this is. It is doing really...
aredden
Help with Colocasia Esculenta 'Black Coral'
I have this elephant ear planted with caladiums. it...
SteamLocomotive
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™