Ficus Elastica suffering from freeze please advice

sunshine98(Z8 TX)March 1, 2004

Other years I was able to bring in my rubber tree but I transplanted it last year into a wooden planter that my husband made for me and it was too heavy and big to bring in this year. Well, we had some very cold nights and I'm afraid it damaged it. All the leaves dried up and died and the tips of the long trunks (plant is about 5 feet high) are wilted and soggy looking, yet the rest of the trunks look and feel fine. Is it a matter of sit back and wait to see if leaves form or do I do something to it to help it out? Or have I lost it forever. Any advice will greatly be appreciate it. Thank-you.

Sincerely and respectfully,

sunshine98 E-mail---perkisun@aol.com

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

If tissues at the root crown were protected enough so they didn't freeze, and of course - the roots are still viable, it will come back. If it does, I wouldn't be too surprised if you notice some badly deformed leaves for a while due to the cold. Prune away any mushy dead growth. Keep it on the very dry side while you wait to prevent root rot.

Al

Bookmark   March 1, 2004 at 9:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff_w(z8 VA)

Hey Sunshine,

I dug up my small elastica from the yard after several nights in the low twenties, and I think one in the teens. I kept it semidry in the basement all winter. It started sending up new albino branches after a couple months. It is still inside, but in the sun and looking good now. I cut away all the dead braches. Ficus elastica is comoonly considered a dieback in zone 9. Maybe try roxburghii (sp?) for your zone. Woodlanders has a dieback for zone 8. Maybe it could be deciduous for you in zone 9.

Jeff

Bookmark   April 13, 2004 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
what kind of plant is this ?
What kind of plant?
roofer321
What type of plant is this please help
Purchased a plant at Walmart something I rarely do...
YoungNewbie816
Name of Flower
Hello there: Could anyone tell me what is the name...
malt_gardener
Please identify
Is this an annual or a perennial? Any info is appreciated...
Sparky11159
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™