Very sad birds nest fern

catash701(7)March 17, 2014

I have a birds nest fern that was all moldy at the roots when I got it. I removed the mold and repotted it into a cactus mix since I thought that would be well draining. I cannot seem to save it and it looks worse and worse daily. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

catash701
here is some help.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 1:50PM
catash701(7)

Thanks, I'll try putting some bark in the mix

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 5:14PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

The "mold" wasn't root mealybug, was it?

The bark needs to be the right size, and in order to get to the point where the bark really starts doing you some good, the bark should comprise at least 75% of the total soil volume. I'll leave a link that you might find interesting. If you find value in it, and want to learn more, I can link you to something that explains how water behaves in container soils. It will give you a better understanding of how important your soil choice is to your ability to coax plants into growing as near their genetic potential as possible, and probably represents the largest step forward a container gardener can take at any one time.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: Start with me, though .....

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 5:26PM
catash701(7)

Thanks! I'm pretty sure it was mold. I combines the bark so it's roots are kind of exposed and have been misting them daily. It's looking really bad :-(

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 6:05PM
catash701(7)

That was a great article !

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 6:12PM
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

Al, I planted my fern as a house plant, and I did not know what to do. I just used what I had around, so I used coir instead of peat moss then I added some perlite, some bark 1/4 that I had around, and some truface 1/4 and some bonsai gravel 1/4 that I had around. I don't know if I did right or not, but it was supposed to like wet soil and also for the OP, note you can treat a fern with a fungicide if the ferns is not too far gone already. I have seen some ferns growing around my building that have black smut, it's like a black mold and I told the owners, but I doubt they will bother to treat those ferns. Ferns do get fungus and aphids also. They had these tiny white spots, people think ferns are care free, but they are much harder then they look.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
Elephant Ear is flowering!
Has ANYONE ever had an elephant ear flower? I have...
Anela
What type of plant is this please help
Purchased a plant at Walmart something I rarely do...
YoungNewbie816
Do 'Full Sun' Coleus Exist???
I have been bitten by the coleus bug. I love the range...
newbilac
Rose of Sharon Dormancy?
We had a cold winter here. I have two Rose of Sharon...
loneranger_grow
Help with Wilting Aralia
Hi there, I'm very worried about my beautiful Aralia...
discordiatree
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™