Cinnamon Fern a No-Show??

geoju(z7/8)March 16, 2004

I LOVE ferns! Last fall, I planted two bare-rooted plants on the north side of the house. Just plopped 'em in the ground (sandy Outer Banks soil) and marked the spot with some rocks so I'd know where they are. Well....nothing yet. So do I have to worry about these little roots or am I premature in my anxieties? Thanks for any help. I'm determined to get a couple of ferns going this year. If any of you have any better recommendations, I'd love to read about them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Katt_TX

So do I have to worry about these little roots

Hard to say. If you want to carefully dig them up and have a look; then replant, that's fine.

If, when doing so, you find the beginnings of fronds that may be pointed sideways (or even upside down), reposition the plant a bit to help it along.

Sometimes I like to presprout dormants before putting them out in the garden by potting them up in good potting soil, then placing them inside by a sunny window until the first few fronds have unfurled. Soil is kept evenly moist, not soggy until this happens.

Bookmark   March 20, 2004 at 1:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bernie1(z7al)

I have lots of perennial ferns planted throughout my yard. Several cinnamon stick ferns that I have had for probably about 7 or 8 years. I have a total of about eight planted in an area. Today I am inspecting everything and I only notice about four of them coming up. No signs of the others at all. My question is, is there something that would eat them during the winter months,they were there until frost, and have always come up. I have a problem with either voles or moles, or both could this be a problem with them ?

Bookmark   March 24, 2004 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Blue Coleus
I've seen a rare few truly blue (not purple) coleus...
tacapollo
Dried Fittonia Leaf Tips
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting in this...
ttaylor36
Rose of Sharon Dormancy?
We had a cold winter here. I have two Rose of Sharon...
loneranger_grow
Do 'Full Sun' Coleus Exist???
I have been bitten by the coleus bug. I love the range...
newbilac
hibiscus flowers
I have a Hibiscus plant. It rains often, and at times,...
isaiah6624
Sponsored Products
Cinnamon Spice Circle Rings Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Riley Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$148.20 | Bellacor
Area Rug: Treviso Dark Brown 8' x 11'
Home Depot
Green Rest Easy Natural Bed Bug Spray 16 oz Spray,Pack of 4
Overstock.com
Audrey Pendant
Lightology