Lobster Claw Heliconia

theoj(Z9 FL)March 20, 2012

My Lobster Claw did not bloom the last two summers, I assume the cold of previous winters caused this as I have had blooms for several prior years. They did however multiply abundantly so the cold did not kill them. Since this winter has been mild, I wonder if they will bloom. I can't remember if they bloomed on new shoots. The old ones have dried leaves and look pretty bad. Don't know if I should cut these down and wait for new plants or vigorously trim. Does anyone remember what summer month they bloom. I've had Lobster Claws several years. The last two summers was the first time they did not bloom. Help, Someone!

theo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shuffles_gw

Mine bloomed the second year and not since then. They grow and multiply like crazy. I plan to get rid of most of them.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 4:36PM
regine_gw

The Lobster Claw blooms on the previous years growth, so don't cut the old stalks off no matter how bad they look, unless you are sure they are dead. Mine starts blooming in June.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 5:58PM
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

I think mine blooms late summer as I am further north than regine. As she said, they bloom on second year stalks, so leave enough of them to make you happy. Same problem with brown here. All I've done is trim back the leaves with the worst brown, or pieces of leaves. Also, week or falling over stalks. New growth is coming already so it will dilute the brown soon when the new leaves come. Yes, it really expands a lot when it is happy.

Anna

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
I'm in NJ, my plants are in Florida..
...should I call my friend who's using my house right...
maja127
New bird food!
Ellen, the 90 year old, cut off the end of a piece...
thonotorose
Mexican Flame Vine
It is conceivable that I've asked this question here...
wisconsitom
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
Need help with growing healthy cannas
I have several cannas, both large and dwarf, but do...
gardenbear49
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™