?evergreen

Tennessee(z7TN)March 21, 2004

This may not be the correct forum for this problem but here goes. I planted several emerald green arobrvitae three years ago and they were doing great, but now several of them have huge brown dead sections on them. Someone suggested it might be bagworms but I don't see any. I did have a problem with bagworms last year with one of the plants and I pulled them off and burned them. Help! I don't want to lose these plants. They would be very expensive to replace.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Thuja is a funny tree in that, more than any other tree I can think of, branches depend on certain roots. Old trees in the wild will sometimes have almost the whole tree rotted away except for one or two life-lines (veins to some) that feed a branch each. For that reason I would suspect mechanical root damage, or possibly salt if near roadway, sidewalk, or driveway. Thuja isn't too susceptible to winter burn, so it's not likely the cause, especially if only individual branches are involved, but it's possible if the damage is on the south to southwest facing portion of the tree(s). It's so difficult to guess w/o seeing the damage.

Al

Bookmark   March 30, 2004 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
Elephant Ear is flowering!
Has ANYONE ever had an elephant ear flower? I have...
Anela
What type of plant is this please help
Purchased a plant at Walmart something I rarely do...
YoungNewbie816
Coprosma Verde Vista
I had never seen this plant before, but looking for...
Sugi_C
help identify my coleus
Please help me identify my coleus.
engelis
Deformed Leaves on Money Plant (Braided Pachira Aquatica)
My mother has kept this braided Pachira Aquatica for...
amperesandwich
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™