Help for my Polka Dot!

christianm2b2(z8 Austin, TX)March 29, 2004

I planted these around my flower bed about 8 days ago. Yesterday, I noticed that something was eating them. I sprayed them with a spray that said it was safe for hypoestes. Today I am noticing that they are kind of "wilty" and not as crisp. They are also turning white. Is there anything I can do to make them perk up? My husband thinks I can get a refund from the nursery since they are so new. He says they probably already had insects and that they came from the nursery. My other plants are not damaged. Can anyone give me some advise?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gitagal(z7a MD)

Might be too much sun all of a sudden! The leaves turning pale is a giveaway! I think you should slowly acclimatize newly purchased plants to full sun. Even though Greenhouses seem sunny and bright, there IS plastic covering them. I think, outdoors, they prefer morning sun or filtered sun. The chewing is probably slugs. BIG ones...(you DO live in Texas!):-)

Also, don't be surprised that your Polka Dots eventually grow to about 10-12" tall. They also send up a spike at the end of summer with itty-bitty blooms on it. PD plants are sprayed with a growth retardant so they look cute and compact when sold. That spray does not last forever!

Bookmark   April 28, 2004 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Rose of Sharon Dormancy?
We had a cold winter here. I have two Rose of Sharon...
loneranger_grow
What is this plant and why isn't it flowering?
Hello! I bought two of these plants as little babies...
bookworm182
A Mouse Ate My Coleus!
I had a great summer last year, growing coleus. So,...
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI
Newbie at gardening
Moving from a condo to a single family home with my...
made2
Tradescantia zebrina
The three detached leaves, center below, are T. zebrina....
mfyss
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™