Confier hedge for this narrow, shady spot? (Photos)
I am trying to figure out what type of conifers would be best to plant as a barrier between my property and the house next door. Here is a photo of the area:
FYI, our property line extends beyond the white fence, as the house next door was built right on the line. (We wouldn't plant anything right against the house, of course).
Needless to say, the house next door isn't exactly pleasant to look at. Also, its occupants don't have curtains in any of their windows which gives us views we would rather not have. Accordingly, my goal is a tall visual barrier that will hopefully also block some sound. Here are my hopes:
- a conifer so the barrier will be effective year-round
- something that gets at least two stories high
- something that will do okay with some shade
- columnar shape is probably a must if it's going to fit
- relatively fast growing, if at all possible ;)
The gravel path in the photo can be removed to accommodate plantings if need be.
I was thinking a thuja hedge, but this area is not in full sun. Would thuja be a good choice, or would something else work better? Any ideas or thoughts on this or other types of tall visual barriers would be excellent! :)