Leafless Ficus Alii

rikyrik(SE UK 8)April 16, 2013

Hi im after some advice about my poorly tree, ive had it afew years now and understand abit more why its a skeleton through researching, I need advice about growing the leaves back. Will the leaves grow on the exsisting bare twigs or should I trim the bare twigs completely off? New leaves seem to be on green supple twigs, any additional advice about growing leaves would be much appreciated.ÃÂ Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

rikyrik, if I mentally rotate the image clockwise, the right side seems bereft of leaves.
Provided that the cause of leaf loss has been identified and corrected, I would start at the top of the main stem and gently scrape the bark to see if there is any green (living) tissue underneath. If there is none, I would repeat the exercise a few inches down at a time until I do find some green. I would then remove the dead portion. I would do the same for the lateral branches and cut away the dead portions.
Bright light and careful watering should induce new growth.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 2:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rikyrik(SE UK 8)

Sorry for the pic I uploaded from my phone, ive done alot of trimming, nearly everthing with no growth was dead im going to move it this week hopfully.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
what kind of plant is this ?
What kind of plant?
roofer321
brown tips on leaves
hey to all. I wanted to post pics but kinda struggling...
silverj25
Help with Wilting Aralia
Hi there, I'm very worried about my beautiful Aralia...
discordiatree
Help with Colocasia Esculenta 'Black Coral'
I have this elephant ear planted with caladiums. it...
SteamLocomotive
A Mouse Ate My Coleus!
I had a great summer last year, growing coleus. So,...
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™