where do I get rare coleus seeds?

saturn69April 11, 2006

hi I'm growing some rainbow mix but I want some more rare colorful coleus like stormy weather,saturn, or solar eclipse types.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Make sure the coleus you want to grow are available as seeds - many of the named varieties are only propagated vegetatively. Either they don't produce viable seed, or they don't come true from seed.

Bookmark   April 14, 2006 at 10:48AM
rose4mom(91423)

Ebay has coleus seeds ...many private vendors..Sue

Bookmark   June 10, 2006 at 5:46PM
eileen_plants

If anyone in the NYC Metro area knows where to get any variety of coleus seeds, please post the location! I'd love to grow some from seed, I have three small plants already. I'm new to coleus (and plants in general) so I'm not sure what varieties they are, but one is a gorgeous scarlet color.

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 8:00PM
eldo1960(8a)

As annebert said, the best, most colorful, and hardiest coleus are grown from cuttings only. Seed-grown varieties are always wanting to go to seed, and once they do, they die You have to pinch them constantly.

Bookmark   July 21, 2006 at 10:44PM
gw:jules-visions

I have been growing coleus from seed I have collected in the previous years garden. All of my seeds have done really well. Every time I buy a new different coleus from the ones I already own, I let the plant mature and then collect the seeds from the flowers. My coleus are beautiful. I have a lot of different seed and never bothered to get their proper names. I have seed for exchange if you should want any.

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 4:22AM
Loretta NJ Z6

You might not get the best of the best but you can get something special. I enjoyed it a lot and haven't had any problem with collecting seed from the named coleus I purchased.

Bookmark   January 8, 2007 at 10:57PM
More Discussions
Help!! Plant Identification
I have no idea what plant this is. It is doing really...
aredden
plz id this beauty
hello. Hope im posting this in the right forum. Only...
Silverj87
Coprosma Verde Vista
I had never seen this plant before, but looking for...
Sugi_C
Blue Coleus
I've seen a rare few truly blue (not purple) coleus...
tacapollo
name of flower
Does anyone know the name of this southern flower. We...
ldj1002
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™