Leggy caladium

Jen26(USDA zone 6/MO)April 21, 2004

Is there any trick to growing non-leggy caladium? I've never done these before, so I don't know if they are normally leggy or not. I just brought home a 12" tall Gingerland and upon closer inspection, I'm thinking "leggy!" BTW, this is my only leafed-out Gingerland, but I have 10 more in the "just sprouting" phase, so if something needs to be done early there's still time for them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gitagal(z7a MD)

Caladiums usually grow their leaves on individual, long stems. They DO break easily, so a circular support would help. Newly purchased caladiums usually have an abundance of very large leaves due to the perfect conditions they have been grown in and the constant feeding they get from the growers. Often these large leaves will die off (no harm!)and the subsequent leaves will be more hardy, having grown in YOUR conditions.

In the garden, they prefer partial shade and look nice mixed in the background of some other, shorter flowering plants. Hope this helps! Gitagal

Bookmark   April 26, 2004 at 1:25PM
kdjoergensen

If you grow the plants from tubers yourself, you can break off the first shots. I know it sounds crazy but if you do this, the dormant buds around the main eye will sprout and create a bushier, lower growing plant with more leaves which do not grow as tall.

Bookmark   April 26, 2004 at 3:30PM
Jen26(USDA zone 6/MO)

I did grow the plants from tubers...but I have to admit, I'm so scared to break off those shoots!!! It took so much coddling just to get them to sprout. I had them on heating pads for weeks. Assuming I work up the courage, should I cut them with scissors or break? Do I leave any of the shoot or cut it off at soil level? Do I break off ALL the shoots or just some? When is it too late for this treatment? Thanks...(biting my nails waiting for your reply.)

Bookmark   April 30, 2004 at 12:13PM
kdjoergensen

The sprouts are like fangs. Just grab them and break them off. I break off all that comes up initially. You can also de-eye tubers by scooping out the eyes using a potato peeler. Try google search caladium+de-eye+potato+peeler

Bookmark   April 30, 2004 at 3:32PM
Jen26(USDA zone 6/MO)

Well I broke off the first shoots, but now they are just growing back in exactly the same spots! No new growth from other spots, is that what I should expect? They are all doing this. Thanks again.

Bookmark   May 4, 2004 at 10:05PM
More Discussions
Do polka dot plants flower??
Do these flower? I thought I had a coleus (what my...
kjtessanne
A Mouse Ate My Coleus!
I had a great summer last year, growing coleus. So,...
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI
Help with Wilting Aralia
Hi there, I'm very worried about my beautiful Aralia...
discordiatree
Please identify
Is this an annual or a perennial? Any info is appreciated...
Sparky11159
hibiscus flowers
I have a Hibiscus plant. It rains often, and at times,...
isaiah6624
Sponsored Products
Herman Miller | Nelson™ X-Leg Table with Veneer Top
YLiving.com
Mykonos Octopus Table
Grandin Road
Adora Walnut Console Table
$597.99 | Dot & Bo
Dragonfly & Cattails Double Wall Decor
$139.00 | FRONTGATE
Hooker Furniture Corsica Dining Leg Server - 5180-75907
$998.00 | Hayneedle