Caladium lovers-you gotta know the answer!

jusdewit(z7TX)May 24, 2004

Please see if you can answer the "Help with caladium growth habits" question!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Garland_garden

Caladiums may not show vigorous growth until the soil temperatures warm to thier liking, for a significant amount of time during each day. Consider the area they are planted; if the soil is in full shade it may not be warm enough for optimum growth as of yet. Here in the Dallas area, the soil has been warm enough for maybe the last month. We can try to plant them early, but the cooler temps will still retard the growth, and if it rains before they begin to grow, the tuber may become to moist and rot. Soil temps above 70 F are generally safe to plant. Their tropical origins can be difficult to replicate sometimes.

Bookmark   June 8, 2004 at 12:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pls8xx

I have had some luck by wetting the bulbs with luke warm water, then letting them dry, for about 3 weeks prior to planting. I do this once on the first week, then twice the second week, and then evey other day for 4 to 6 days. This needs to be timed for the end to occur when the bulbs can be planted in a warm soil. If outside conditions are still too cool, they need to be planted in peat pots. This technique seems to spur the bulbs to life and cuts 7 to 10 days off the early development time.

Bookmark   June 13, 2004 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
Deformed Leaves on Money Plant (Braided Pachira Aquatica)
My mother has kept this braided Pachira Aquatica for...
amperesandwich
Name of Flower
Hello there: Could anyone tell me what is the name...
malt_gardener
Do polka dot plants flower??
Do these flower? I thought I had a coleus (what my...
kjtessanne
A Mouse Ate My Coleus!
I had a great summer last year, growing coleus. So,...
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI
plz id this beauty
hello. Hope im posting this in the right forum. Only...
Silverj87
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™