How to prune these trees

johnparavOctober 17, 2010

Hi

I recently dug out these 2 trees and put them into pots. The new owner of the property is not into figs so they were going to let them go unsheltered this winter . The previous owner would bury the trees and they seemed to have winter damage in spots and not very vigorous growth with basically only 3 or 4 leaves on the ends of the branches but did produce figs . I cut them back to around half their original size for transport purposes already .

http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/johnparav/Fig%20trees/?action=view&current=92eb6962.png&evt=user_media_share

The first 2 pics are of one tree . The next 2 are of the other .

The first tree is about 8 feet tall and will not fit into my garage ( 7.5 foot tall garage ) . The problem is that all the lateral growth is up high so it will be even worse next year . If I cut it at the 3 foot height will it survive and make new branches from the main trunks ? Should I do it now or spring ?

The second tree is about 6 feet high and the shape is not bad but any pruning help would be appreciated .

Thanks ........ John

P.s this is my first post and I hope the link works...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thisisme(az9b)

This may help a bit. If you cut them shorter they will survive and put out new growth next year. Do your cutting when they are dormant or just before you store them.

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 5:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnparav

Hi thisime

Thanks for the advice and placing the photos on the forum.

John

Bookmark   October 17, 2010 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
Looking for Cuttings
Hi All. Been looking for fig cuttings. I have 2 Chicago...
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
is this fig mosaic virus?
Hi, I just bought this Panache fig tree a couple weeks...
merriberri
How to prune a Ficus Lyrata.
Hi Everyone, Im new to this forum, I hope there is...
Goldie_1
Black Jack fig not growing side limbs
I purchased 2 two gallon Black Jack Figs from Walmart,...
jeremie428
vasilika sika ( king & queen)fig greek
Can anyone post a photo of this fig? Is this fig called...
edarena
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™