Foliage bed that includes peony?

amocJune 30, 2007

Hi All, in your experience what other foliage would go best with peonies?

I Have just expanded one of my beds, in full sun and where I do not get to water too much. We have plenty of rain in spring/fall but not much during summer. I currently have a tiger eye sumac in there, with plenty of space to grow. And I plan to get some peonies. And I already have some iris (that can easily be moved out or around). And some tall grass (maidenhair?) that I am not that crazy about. What other (foliage) plants worked best for you with peonies leaves?

Thanks much

Anda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tjsangel(z5 OH)

Hi,

I have a Peony with a trailing perennial Geranium, shasta daisies, Phlox 'David', a Miscanthus grass, a couple daylilies and Liatris (gayfeather.) All of these can take some drought after they are established, the geranium needs a bit of extra water when it gets really dry. Have fun choosing!

Jen

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 1:35PM
inlimbo(z5/6 CT)

One of my favorite combinations is a Festiva Maxima peony with Siberian iris Caesar's Brother to one side, artemesia Silver King to the other side and behind the peony, geranium Biokova and Candytuft in front. Behind the whole thing is a huge climbing hydrangea on a pine. Love the rounded peony form with the spiky Siberian iris and artemesia's finer texture and silver leaves. Flowers just a fleeting plus. Be prepared to yank out the wandering artemesia.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 1:34PM
vera_eastern_wa(5a-5b)

I currently have Salvia officinalis, Chives, Lavender, Blue Flax and English Thyme near mine.

Vera

Bookmark   July 31, 2007 at 2:33PM
More Discussions
Elephant Ear is flowering!
Has ANYONE ever had an elephant ear flower? I have...
Anela
Newbie at gardening
Moving from a condo to a single family home with my...
made2
My first Ficus Benjamina, leaves are dropping
I bought a ficus benjamina about three weeks ago. It...
KarasNT
Name of Flower
Hello there: Could anyone tell me what is the name...
malt_gardener
Do polka dot plants flower??
Do these flower? I thought I had a coleus (what my...
kjtessanne
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™