Ming Aralia shattering

igluvr_522June 21, 2006

Hi, my Ming, which has been in the same SE facing window and doing well over the winter, is starting to have leaves (old and new) turn yellow. What could be casuing this? I water 1x per week and feed 1x every 2wks using liquid miracle gro. The level of light it gets from this window has not changed, but may be more concentrated with summer or is it too hot?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Josh(z8a)

Sounds like possibly too much heat and light through window. Mine do best with medium light/ average room temps (about 74 degrees F in summer with airconditioning) and foliage is a deeper green which I prefer. Mine too though are now losing a few older leaves...it's just natural though, as new growth appears, for the older leaves to yellow. I just run my fingers through the branches to remove dying foliage.

A monthly (or as often as can be managed) shower of complete plant helps keep dust-free, pest-free too. I don't use fertilizer but I've read that if used you also need to flood soil on a regular basis to avoid buildup in soil. If it's just the older leaves and new growth is still appearing, I wouldn't worry. Just move back from window or to side to see if that helps.

One other thought: in winter resting-mode less water is needed than when new growth is in full swing in spring/summer. Good luck, hope some of these thoughts help. josh

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Ficus lost 80% of its leaves
I've been reading a lot on this forum on causes for...
Liudmila78
Elephant Ear is flowering!
Has ANYONE ever had an elephant ear flower? I have...
Anela
Do 'Full Sun' Coleus Exist???
I have been bitten by the coleus bug. I love the range...
newbilac
help identify my coleus
Please help me identify my coleus.
engelis
Rose of Sharon Dormancy?
We had a cold winter here. I have two Rose of Sharon...
loneranger_grow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™