Asparagus fern light requirements?

eileen_plantsJuly 14, 2006

Does anyone know what kind of light asparagus ferns need? I've tried my books, but they have differing opinions, so I thought I'd go straight to the source and ask someone who has one! I've heard ferns don't like direct sun and was confused when one book said bright light. I currently have it where it is receiving some direct sun but not much. I can easily move it to a more shaded site if that is what is required. Any help appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
josh_z8a

Asparagus ferns aren't true ferns, and require bright light to full sun for best growth. Also, they need excellent drainage and prefer to dry out some between watering.
If outside for summer same care required. Good luck. josh

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 8:44PM
eldo1960(8a)

I replied to this two days ago, but it never appeared. josh has answered your question well. I notice that he and I are in the same zone. Here they will overwinter in the ground, coming back from the roots. However, in your climate zone likely they will freeze if left out. You can lift them and winter them indoors. Just keep them above freezing. The little "peanuts" on the roots are water sacs, so they can survive for a time without water, but they don't wilt when their water supply is completely gone- they just DIE. In So. Florida they have naturalized and are considered somewhat of a nuisance. They are very tough.

Bookmark   July 15, 2006 at 8:59PM
wantoretire_did

Eileen - I've found that inside (winter) they can take full sun, but outside (summer) they seem to do better in mostly shade. They divide well as hanging plants also. I try to keep them on the damp side; they WILL die if left too long. Enjoy!

Bookmark   August 11, 2006 at 7:32AM
More Discussions
Ficus lost 80% of its leaves
I've been reading a lot on this forum on causes for...
Liudmila78
brown tips on leaves
hey to all. I wanted to post pics but kinda struggling...
silverj25
name of flower
Does anyone know the name of this southern flower. We...
ldj1002
Deformed Leaves on Money Plant (Braided Pachira Aquatica)
My mother has kept this braided Pachira Aquatica for...
amperesandwich
Blue Coleus
I've seen a rare few truly blue (not purple) coleus...
tacapollo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™