Starting tomato seeds

zzackey(8b GA)March 22, 2012

I planted several varieties of tomato seeds on the same day. Some were commercial and some were from trades on here. At least one was from someone that saved their own seeds. The ones that did the best were a commercial seed we bought that was 3-4 years old. Yellow Jubilee. The best tasting tomato I have had in all my 34 years of eating tomatoes. How do you plant your seeds. Barely covered? or do you lay them on top and let the water bury them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
L_in_FL(8B/9A Border, NW FL)

Barely covered. Usually I germinate them indoors in a seed starting mix, but they germinate just as well outside in the dirt when it's warm. For me, that's the easy part - after they come up is when things can get "interesting."

I did a little reading on the Yellow Jubilee you mentioned. Sounds like a possible prospect for next year. How were the yields (and diseases) for you with this variety?

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 9:54AM
zzackey(8b GA)

We weren't able to grow them to maturity. We had them planted in the ground covered with a makeshift greenhouse and an electric heater inside for the cold nights. They were producing well in mid-March when we went away for a week to visit friends. Our neighbor was taking care of them while we were gone. Unfortunately they didn't live within sight of our house. A big wind blew the plastic off and the frost killed them. I will try to remember to post how they do this year. I just had more seeds pop up, so I now have 100% germination of those seeds and I stored them at room temperature.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 2:57PM
saldut

You state that Yellow Jubilee was excellent, please can you tell me if it was sweet? and perhaps low-acid ?? I am looking for a Indet. yellow with those attributes and have yet to find a good one !! Thanks, sally

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 5:53PM
zzackey(8b GA)

It was very sweet! Here's what it says on the Ferry Morse seed pack about it: An All-American selection (sorry the next part was tore off) with a mild, non-acidic flavor. They are large, globular and smooth with a meaty thick-walled interior. Few seeds. I haven't been real fond of Ferry Morse seeds in the last few years, but this one was a real winner in my book! I bought it because I was looking for a non-acidic tomato.

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 6:45PM
More Discussions
Shrub border.
Hi any suggestions for a shrub next to a fence between...
garyfla_gw
So, What Do YOU Do About Coons And Possums?
I just sent three of them to that big veggie garden...
brute
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
New houzz look
Can't get used to this yet. Or like it. That soft...
irma_stpete_9b
A good firespike replacement?
Two and a half years ago I got some 'blue' (magenta)...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™