Elephant Ear is flowering!

Anela(Z6 Ks.)September 11, 2004

Has ANYONE ever had an elephant ear flower? I have 4 VERY large bulbs that I put in this spring and two of the bulbs now have flowers....Large flowers! I have NEVER seen this before and didn't even know that it was possible. One of the flowers is yellow long cone shaped and I assume will get taller b/c it's still opening up. The other just came out this morning so I can't tell what color it is. My friend who has been gardening for 20+ years has never had this happen. I am sooooo happy!!!!

Anela

p.s. I took some pics. yesterday when I discovered it, will take more today and try to post.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lotsaplants(Az zone 9)

That is really cool! You should check with the Aroid forum....they know lots about E.E.s and can tell you how unusual it is. I've sure never had it happen.
Sharon

Bookmark   September 11, 2004 at 5:22PM
Anela(Z6 Ks.)

Thanks I posted it there, but I will post pictures here also
Anela

Bookmark   September 11, 2004 at 6:33PM
smurfboy

my upright elephant ears are blooming, I have the green and black uprights, flowers are like those of a peace lily but longer and skinny. I had the regular elephant ear to set buds 3-4 years ago, but it got cold and they didn't have time to open up, the trunk of the elephant ear was the size of a small tree trunk, and I bet the plant itself weighed 150 pounds without dirt. I had lots of babies!

Bookmark   September 20, 2006 at 1:52AM
Jen26(USDA zone 6/MO)

Wow, I just noticed that mine are flowering, too. They are HUGE elephant ears, and like smurfboy's, have trunks the size of a small tree. The flowers are yellow, and look just like peace lily flowers, but much bigger. I bet the biggest is 12". They have a very strong fragrance, which I'm not sure if I like or not. These were EEs purchased last spring at Walmart, with no name other than "Elephant Ear." The bulbs were about the size of a softball, maybe smaller. They are giant, probably 6 or 7' tall and the individual leaves are up to 40". I have them in soil that's been heavily ammended with compost and I think they're pretty happy.

Bookmark   October 4, 2006 at 10:31AM
heifer32(7)

I to have planted 2 elephant ear plants this summer. I bought my bulbs from walmart. I have had a flower come up 3 days ago. I now have another flower coming up on the same stock. I have never in my life seen this before. I am not doing anything special to my plant. I was wondering why and how does the elephant ear plant produce flowers. How rare is this?
I live in Southern Oklahoma. Can anyone give me any info on this. Thanks I am new to this site. I have planted elephant ears
before, but never had this happen. I am sooooo excited about this.

Bookmark   September 12, 2014 at 2:02AM
ctnchpr

Hi Sylvia,

Your EE blooming means you're doing everything right - it wouldn't waste energy on flowers if it wasn't healthy.

This is one of my Thai Giant elephant ears last year, already with 11 blooms. If my memory is correct, it ended up with 15 blooms...

Here are 2 seed pods from another Thai giant in 2012...

Bookmark   September 13, 2014 at 1:20AM
More Discussions
My first Ficus Benjamina, leaves are dropping
I bought a ficus benjamina about three weeks ago. It...
KarasNT
help identify my coleus
Please help me identify my coleus.
engelis
Name of Flower
Hello there: Could anyone tell me what is the name...
malt_gardener
Rose of Sharon Dormancy?
We had a cold winter here. I have two Rose of Sharon...
loneranger_grow
Sponsored Products
Captiva Area Rug - 4'6" x 6'6"
Grandin Road
Area Rug: Caprice Collection Blue 3' x 5'
Home Depot
Powell Mirrored 2 Drawer Console
Beyond Stores
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Momeni Rugs Caprice Animals Blue 8 ft. x 10 ft.
Home Depot
Quoizel Cloverdale 4-Light 26" Wide Cocoa Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Red Carpet Studios Flower Shape Spinner - Red / Green - 34422
$26.85 | Hayneedle
Original Empress Kirman Round: 8 Ft. 8 In. x 8 Ft. 8 In. Rug
Bellacor
Lights Up! CanCan 2 Adjustable Red Mumm Shade Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™