anyone heard of ajana?

north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)September 7, 2003

That's the only name it came with. I can't find out anything at all. It is very attractive. The leaves are edged in white. The leaves are elongated and lobed at the tip. They whorl around the stem. It was trouble free all summer. I'm trying to take slips to see if I can winter it indoors. Hope someone knows more about this plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
BarbC(8 coastal SC)

Ajuga, maybe?

Bookmark   September 8, 2003 at 10:52PM
north53 Z1b MB(zone 1b Canada)

No Barb, it is definitely not ajuga. Both nurseries here were selling it as basket filler, but no info other than the name ajana.

Bookmark   September 9, 2003 at 12:03AM

Well I've accidently answered my own question. I was glancing through a perennial book, and the picture just jumped off the page. It is Chrysanthemum pacificum also sold as Ajania pacifica described as a stunning, season-long fogiage display. The leaves are smooth and shiny, not at all like the usual chrysanthemum. It is rated zone 5-9 so will not be hardy for me. Do you think I could winter a piece in the house? Also, wouldn't it be helpful if nurseries labeled their plants correctly?

Bookmark   September 15, 2003 at 1:14AM
Josh(z8a)

I grow the Chrysanthemum pacifica outside here in a container. I had noticed they changed the name but I'm still stuck with the old.

I think it might do okay in the house if you have a well lighted window. Mine puts out long lanky stems which I sorta like, but it can be trimmed back regularly to grow short and compact. It has tiny bright gold blooms in fall, very nice with the white-edged ruffled leaves. It makes a good groundcover as it constantly puts up new growth.

I'd pot it up in somewhat sandy fast-draining soil, water sparingly in house. It roots as easily as Coleus, so you could just take cuttings for your pot.

Good luck. jo

Bookmark   September 26, 2003 at 10:32AM

Thank you Jo for the info. So far I've had no luck getting my cuttings to root, however. I might try just digging up a piece of the plant. Em

Bookmark   September 28, 2003 at 11:39PM
eternalvoyageur

I just got one yesterday, and it is also called only Ajana. I was thinking to overwinted it in the house also, and now I will add it in my silver garden.

Bookmark   August 31, 2007 at 8:33AM
More Discussions
name of flower
Does anyone know the name of this southern flower. We...
ldj1002
Help with Colocasia Esculenta 'Black Coral'
I have this elephant ear planted with caladiums. it...
SteamLocomotive
Elephant Ear is flowering!
Has ANYONE ever had an elephant ear flower? I have...
Anela
help identify my coleus
Please help me identify my coleus.
engelis
A Mouse Ate My Coleus!
I had a great summer last year, growing coleus. So,...
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™