Rose and windy conditions

schoolhouse_gwSeptember 6, 2010

I planted the David Austin rose, "Charlotte" awhile ago on the west side of my house. Other roses do very well there, but today it is really windy; and since I planted this rose to the right of the porch, it doesn't have the bit of windbreak as the others have that are planted on the left side. I just noticed today how much the porch and an older shrub rose offers this protection. In other words, Charlotte is taking the full brunt of the wind.

What do you think? Should I protect it at least this winter with a barrier or do you think it will be hardy enough? The blooms that are open right now have already gone somewhat limp.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lavender_lass(4b)

I think Charlotte is rated as a zone 4 rose, but that's probably a little optimistic. I would protect it from the wind, as it will dry out your rose too much going into the winter...and without adequate snow protection, the wind chill will probably not help, either.

I don't know how things are in Ohio, but when we lived in South Dakota, the winds were really strong...and cold!

Do you have any pictures of Charlotte? It looks like a very pretty rose in the David Austin catalog :)

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 5:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
schoolhouse_gw

I deadheaded the blooms before I planted it, but there are lots of new buds and even some new leaves; so I'll wait until they open then take a pic. I added a layer of mulch awhile ago, weatherman says rain late tomorrow afternoon and evening; but also temp of 87. Ugh.

It has a bit of black spot too, I thought it was suppose to be disease-free but with the hot and humid weather this summer all the leftover roses at the nursery looked sad. Mind you, I'm not a rose gardener so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that's about all I can do.

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
HAVE: Weeping Willow & Tortured Willow Cuttings
I am rooting Weeping Willow (Salix babylonica) cuttings. I...
sweetannie4u
Early rose-Gingersnap
I was trying to post this a couple of weeks ago but...
jakkom
Introduction! (plus a question about gaura)
Hello, all! I'm new to the forum, but have been gardening...
michellecoxwrites
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
Anuual Hollyhock seed
I don't remember if I plant annual HH seed this Spring...
schoolhouse_gw
Sponsored Products
Lakelynn Garden Trellis
Grandin Road
Maroon Dimensional Roses 18 x 18 Pillow
$55.80 | Bellacor
Au Nom De La Rosa #7 Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road
Safavieh Hand-hooked Paradise Ivory Wool Rug (5'6 Round)
Overstock.com
Stained Glass Butterfly and Roses Tiffany Style Flush Mount
ParrotUncle
Runner Rug: Diamanti Beige 2' 6" x 10'
Home Depot
Rose Narrow Zig Zag Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Rose Apothecary Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™