Pony tail palm has babies?

Donna_Duck(mid Illinois)October 4, 2003

I need some advice about my old pony tail palm. I've had her for about 25 years and she's been doing real well. This summer I've noticed that she's sprouting shoots off the base. The top is still producing new leaves, but the "babies" are bothering me. I've tried to cut them off, but they just grow right back and bring more with them. What is this and what do I do about it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
venezuela(venezuela)

Your beaucarnia wants company and has decided to fill out with side shoots, why do you want to remove them? They will make your plant fuller and I bet more attractive.

Bookmark   October 21, 2003 at 3:47PM
hwarrick

Where in il are you ?
I'm in decatur and mine is roughly 23
years old, chopped it down afew times but
no babies as of yet.
Hal

Bookmark   October 29, 2003 at 1:59PM
elvis

I chopped the head off mine (30 years old), and after 6 months, buds appeared around the top outside edge. They are now 'ponytails' and new buds are popping out around the base where the swelling starts from the narrow trunk. Very interesting...the plant was waaaay too tall for my house before; this is a nice change :)

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 1:16PM
catcatcher

My PTP is 14 years old and up until 3 years ago had a single 'tail' at the top which started to rot and die off. I decided to leave it alone. When the top returned to health we named it Cousin It. Now it has about 8 large 'babies at its base that are strong and lush. At Christmastime I put a santa hat on 'It' and two large comical eyes.

Bookmark   July 12, 2006 at 1:46PM
sunshine1266

I inherited a PTP from my grandmother it's at least 7 years old. The top is dying away but I have two shoots that are thriving. Should I cut off the top or just remove the dead leaves. If anyone has advice. I really want to save it.

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 4:45PM
birdsnblooms

Sunshine, if the top if rotted, (soft, mushy) remove leaves..they're of no use and only taking nutrient away from healthy parts.
Make sure you don't overwater this plant..The Ponytail's bulb holds water so treat it like you would a cactus..Toni

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 12:50AM
pamelamarydesigns2_comcast_net

I have a Ponytail plant that is barely a year old and about 4 inches tall and it's sprouting a baby at the base! Very strange!

Bookmark   January 4, 2011 at 4:24PM
alavoneluvhoya

one of my palms has 2 heads but no base.....no trunk....and its 3 years old....is it ever going to grow a trunk or will i have 2 trunks?

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 6:36PM
birdsnblooms

Pam, that is strange..for such a young plant.

Alavone..What size pot is your PT potted in? If too large, it'll take longer to grow..they like a tight fit.

Has anything happened since you posted? Toni

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 3:43PM
proglobal_david_gmail_com

i want to know if possible,and how to replant ptp babys. plant has been cut 3 months ago and now there is 20 babys.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
Help with Colocasia Esculenta 'Black Coral'
I have this elephant ear planted with caladiums. it...
SteamLocomotive
Ficus lost 80% of its leaves
I've been reading a lot on this forum on causes for...
Liudmila78
name of flower
Does anyone know the name of this southern flower. We...
ldj1002
Deformed Leaves on Money Plant (Braided Pachira Aquatica)
My mother has kept this braided Pachira Aquatica for...
amperesandwich
Tradescantia zebrina
The three detached leaves, center below, are T. zebrina....
mfyss
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™