Elephant Ear...dripping?

adelphusNovember 22, 2004

I couldn't bear to watch my Elephant Ear die so I dug it up before it went dormant. Needless to say all the original leaves died.

Saddened, I cut them all down to the bulb and put the pot in a dark corner. Then, quite amazingly, leaves started shooting out of the bulb stumps so fast you could literally see it grow. But then something odd happened.

It started dripping from the leaf tips. I'd wipe it away but a new perfect drop would form in it's place. I was sitting under it one day and a drop would fall on me about every 15 minutes, so it's pretty constant.

Does anyone know what my plant doing and why is it doing it? And is it dripping water or something else?

-Anie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cheerpeople

EE are a slobber mouth breed! ( like newfoundlands!) Don't worry.
The plain types are easy to store. The fancier might need special handling. LMK what kind. I have learned by trial and error.
You do have it in a cool dark dry place right?
karen

Bookmark   December 4, 2004 at 3:40AM
janlynn(Z5 So Milw WI)

I brought my EE in the house where it is in the dark, damp, cool basement and it has little drips also. But...I hardly water it and it is still growing/thriving. This is my first EE that I've overwintered and am quite happy with it. Any other ?'s lmk...

Bookmark   January 24, 2005 at 5:46PM
luxum(9/10 Tampa FL)

I think what you are describing sounds like guttation. Is the potting mix wet? Generally, from what i understand, when the leaves of aroid species do this, they are attempting to rid themselves of excess water.

Bookmark   February 1, 2005 at 9:39AM
qbirdy(z4/5 Central NY)

My EEs drip all the time. I have small and large types, and if they are dry or not doesn't seem to stop the dripping. I did find that the drippings can hurt other plants-my little banana sure didn't like the ee drool!! I haven't found anything to stop them, and it doesn't seem to hurt them at all.

Bookmark   February 21, 2005 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Rose of Sharon Dormancy?
We had a cold winter here. I have two Rose of Sharon...
loneranger_grow
Coprosma Verde Vista
I had never seen this plant before, but looking for...
Sugi_C
Do polka dot plants flower??
Do these flower? I thought I had a coleus (what my...
kjtessanne
Blue Coleus
I've seen a rare few truly blue (not purple) coleus...
tacapollo
brown tips on leaves
hey to all. I wanted to post pics but kinda struggling...
silverj25
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™