Zucchini Blossoms falling off, Help!

Dustbunny(z9 FLA)January 15, 2004

This is my first vegetable garden. My zucchini plants came up and started to flower about 2 weeks ago, but the blossoms are falling off now. What have I done wrong?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenlad(6b KY)

Nothing wrong, Dustbunny.

Most of the time, squashes produce only male flowers the first few weeks of blooming. These fall off.

In awhile you'll start seeing both males and females (the females have what look like miniature squash at the base of their stems). The males will continue to fall off, btw, even if they've fertilized females. And the female flowers will fall off too, leaving behind the miniature squash.

That is actually the plant's ovary. If it's been fertilized it will grow into a squash. If not, it too will fall off.

Bookmark   January 15, 2004 at 11:34AM
Dustbunny(z9 FLA)

Thank you for your response! I guess I'll just have to learn to be patient and let nature take it's course.

Bookmark   January 15, 2004 at 11:52AM
Dustbunny(z9 FLA)

Thank you for your response! I guess I'll just have to learn to be patient and let nature take it's course.

Bookmark   January 15, 2004 at 1:52PM
robin_maine

I mix cream cheese with herbs, put it into the blossom, fold it closed, batter and fry it. Mmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Bookmark   April 23, 2004 at 4:50PM
lilahbean

Exactly the information for which I was looking. My zucchini plants were rife with blossoms, and then just nothing. Good things come to those who wait; meanwhile, there are a couple of good sized blossoms crying out for mascarpone, fresh herbs and a bit of marinara sauce.

Bookmark   June 15, 2004 at 11:02PM
sbdmom(zone 9)

Hi,
I have read these responses however, I have a zucchini plants that have made just a few zucchini now all they are producing male flowers ? It is just taking a break ? Plants are experiencing an aphid invasion
..but ladybugs are working on it...
Thanks in advance
Jamie

Bookmark   August 18, 2004 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
Growth in winter greens?
I am giving a serious try to a winter greens garden...
pellice
sowing kale seeds?
When can I sow kale seeds directly in ground in zone...
debcoo2229
Coldframe/hoophouse question/confusion
Hi All. I'm hoping some of you that have grown in cold...
kroach001
cold fall in MN crop report
It got down to 11 degrees here Tuesday morning so when...
little_minnie
Planting Schedule
Our new neighborhood garden is located in Southern...
Glo407
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™