building a greenhouse?

Patsyptrsn(z4 minnesota)January 12, 2005

I am toying with the idea of a greenhouse and I have access to a bunch of triple glazed tinted windows FREE. Will this type of window work for a greenhouse or will tint cut the light? These are brand new windows with a high energy rating they were for a new school and someone ordered the wrong size and they did not want them back. Any imput about this would be very helpful. Patty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bethNC7b

What color are the windows tinted?
I can't answer your question definitively, but I do know that the spectrum of color in a light source will affect a plant's growth. I've only dealt with this whole issue when buying plant lights for starting seeds indoors, but it DOES make a difference!

Bookmark   January 15, 2005 at 5:26PM
tickledmink(z5 MI)

I would make some cold frames for the spring and see how the plants do. If they do well then make yourself the greenhouse. Kim

Bookmark   January 19, 2005 at 10:08PM
Tsavah

Yes, put a few of the windows over a wooden frame of 2"x4" and see how the seedlings do. If they seem bleached out and stringy, the windows have a tint that is blocking out what the plants need a tad too much. Even so, if you need windows on the northside of the greenhouse, tinted work fine, but most folks insulate the northside during the winter. Tinted windows are better for a storage shed where you want to keep the sun UV rays off stuff to limit fading. Want to send some to me? LOL.

Bookmark   May 29, 2005 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
favorite microgreen or cca mix for winter greenhouse?
Does anyone have a favorite blend (premade or homemade)...
celestial
Protecting your garden
I have a question to ask of you gardeners, especially...
twolips
Help with my cilantro microgreens
Please excuse me as I couldn't find a forum just for...
pickMEup
Growing Kale in greenhouse in winter
I have some great Kale growing in my VT garden. I want...
Hockeymanvt
Fasteners for low tunnels
I have just made a movable, 10 ft. long, low tunnel...
grammaj1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™