ginger?

JenPeteFLMarch 15, 2012

I've been searching GW and the web for info on ginger. I've learned HOW to plant it, but I can't figure out WHEN. Can anyone tell me 1) does ginger do well here in central FL?, 2) when should I start it?, and 3) when is it ready to harvest?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katkin_gw

I don'tknow if it will grow for you in the winter unless you bring it inside. It won't like the freezing weather. There is a Thai ginger that does better but I am not crazy for it's taste.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 6:36PM
coffeemom(Broward z10)

I got some from a swap.How do you harvest it? Just pull out a stalk and use the root? Does it need to set around like a sweet potato for better flavor? TIA

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 7:04PM
katkin_gw

I just cut off some of the under ground tubers. To tell the truth I don't really know if it should set around, I usually use it the day I harvest it.

I haven't had luck with the one most often used for cooking. But I want to try it again. The one I have is the Thai and it is spicier in flavor. But the Thai one grows well for me and wasn't effected by the cold.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 7:35AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Does anyone grow Blue Ginger (or Blue Hawaiian Ginger) - the one that blooms in the fall? Is it edible or just ornamental? I have been trying to find one in the Jacksonville area, but no luck. I may have to mail order... it'll just go on "THE List" for now. :)

Carol M. in Jacksonville

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 8:56AM
JenPeteFL

Does anyone know when to plant it, and how to tell when it's ready?

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 9:23AM

I just found that there is a Ginger Forum - they may have helpful information. I linked it below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger Forum

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 9:33AM
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

I think you can pretty much plant it any time now - you certainly wouldn't need to be concerned about cold weather probs at this time of year. I like to start things in pots first, then transplant later, if necessary.

I have some ornamental ginger coming up right now that I started in pots about a month ago. I have some culinary ginger in a large container (for more than a year now), but it has not re-emerged yet. FWIW, I did the same w/ some fresh turmeric root I bought last year.

Not sure if you've seen this yet....
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mv067

Or this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger @ Floridata.com

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 10:19AM
JenPeteFL

Thanks, CarolB. I looked for hours on the ginger forum and other forums that seemed related and couldn't find out when to plant it. Lots of other great info, just not when. Maybe I just missed it, but... I'll give it a try now. I appreciate it!

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 12:27PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

There are 2 kinds of blue ginger that I know of. One is a true ginger of the globba and is called 'Blue Hawaii'. It has very light blue flowers/brackets and is sort of a pendulous type of flower. I got one from zone9tropicals last year when they offered a few as well as some other new rare gingers.

The other "ginger" that is more common that is called 'Blue Ginger' is not really a true ginger but Dichorisandra thyrsiflora. It gets much taller but has brighter darker blue flowers. It is quite confusing lol.
~SJN

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 1:48PM

SJN, thank you SO much for the clarification! And here I was, thinking they were the same-same. That will help me.

Hope your brugs - and all your plants - are doing well!

Carol in Jax

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 2:33PM

That also explains why the second one is sometimes called "False Blue Ginger". Now I "get it".

Carol

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 2:35PM
wallisadi

tons of "blue ginger" here, grows like a perennial weed. not a true ginger, but a killer bloom.....i keep moving it around the yard. very dependable, but don't pay a high price...

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 6:43PM

Walli, why do you say don't pay a high price? Not worth it? Or because they are easy to find? ... they haven't been so far, here in Jacksonville. I'm still looking but probably getting close to ready to order...

Thanks,
Carol in Jax

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 10:28PM
wallisadi

it propagates so easy, threat of a freeze i cut it all down, stick it in a pot in the screen room, protected, and it roots really fast. the clump i cut comes back bigger and taller the next year. want some?

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 6:26AM
SusieQsie_Fla

Hi Mark
If you can spare some of that Blue Ginger, wanna do a trade?
I've got some Formosa and some Butterfly . . . .

Susie

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 2:44PM

Wow, Mark, how kind and generous of you! After Susie, I would be thrilled to get some Blue Ginger, too, depending up your availability of time and cuttings. If you are short on either, no big deal. I have many things I can send you in return... but I know you have a huge plant collection already... I'm wondering what I have that you would like. Hmmm...

Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 2:56PM
wallisadi

let me know, i think my email address is on here somewhere...

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 6:04PM
More Discussions
African Queen
I started 5 seeds over a week ago and so far have 1...
garf_gw
Winter Tomatoes in Miami Florida
I am planning to torture the northern gardeners with...
garf_gw
Legal issues with using trademarked materials for breeding projects?
I don't really see a 'legal' or 'law' forum on here....
xentar_gw
Mystery tree
Has small silvery/gray leaves, almost furry looking......
roselady35
Sponsored Products
Free Wheeling All Wheels Golden Ochre Pendant
$657.80 | Bellacor
Pierced Bone China Ginger Jar Night Light Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Sweet Ginger Buffet Lamp
Overstock.com
Ginger Fiesta Sofa - CREAM
$3,699.00 | Horchow
Van Teal River Rock 37" High Copper Table Lamp
Euro Style Lighting