A cold frame out of straw bales?

bernadette_gourder(5 from Newaygo, MI)January 12, 2009

I just came across this website that has instructions on how to build a cold frame with straw bales. This sounds very interesting to me. Would this keep in the heat well for zone 5? I'd like to overwinter cuttings and fussy seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's the instructions

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gladgrowing(6a)

Bernadette,
I am in zone6-a(ish), and put a strawbale cold frame together in this past fall. I have yet to go to your link, but wanted to say how thrilled i am with the one i made!
Someone gave me six bales, which i put into a rectangle. Then, i covered them with 6 mil black plastic, secured with homemade 9 guage wire u-pins. I laid thick newspaper in the bottom of this one, and filled with a bale of soiless seed starting mix and a pile of my homemade compost mixed into only the top 12 inches or so. It is quite fluffy, and holds water well. Atop the bale frame, i laid 2 old glass and metal storm doors.
We had temps only as low as 5*F. only once this season, many nites in the teens. I satill have fresh cilantro and mixed leaf lettuces doing great in their!! Of course they are growing very slow, but i get some each week for the dinner table or to share around the hood :) It is fantastic. This morning, my husband and i decided to increase this by three - and have it all!! This will be a mighty long bed/coldframe....and one end will be more compartmentalized and have a hearing coil underground for germinating transplants earlier. This will be very welcome, as i have reached a limit of 25 flats at a time in my cold basement with windows and light banks.
Hope you can do it, too! I am ready to have spinaches in there from now on, too :)

Bookmark   January 13, 2009 at 3:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gladgrowing(6a)

I forgot to mention that i have a thick comforter atop the glasses on these cold nights!

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
To Build or To Buy, that is the question
I am looking into beginning a year round garden on...
StairwayToKevin
First Winter Garden/Groundhogs
I am planting my first winter garden this year and...
frankin
What is everyone growing in their winter garden?
I live in coastal south carolina and this year am making...
loblolly9
Grow (and harvest) veggies in Greenhouse during winter??
Hello all! I am the proud new owner of a new 8.5ft...
kroach001
Red Kuri
Just a question about Red Kuri squash. I'm growing...
steveandandrea
Sponsored Products
Engage Upholstered Sofa in Wheatgrass
$919.00 | LexMod
Franklin Bench - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Framed Chrome One-Light 24-Inch Wide LED Bath Light
$248.00 | Bellacor
Gizaun Art Memory Lane Inside/Outside Full Color Cedar Wall Art - MEL2216
$79.00 | Hayneedle
Camel's Back Art Print
$20.99 | Dot & Bo